What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flamemaster Say's No Touch-up

mfleming

Well Known Member
Patron
So I need to touch up my fuel tank mounting plate (Removed one of the float plate screws. Mounting plates not yet installed).

Called Flamemaster and asked if touching up ten day old sealant was OK. After hemming and hawing the tech said...no touch up.

What's the real world consensus?

So I need to touch up my fuel tank mounting plate (Removed one of the float plate screws. Mounting plates not yet installed).

Called Flamemaster and asked if touching up ten day old sealant was OK. After hemming and hawing the tech said...no touch up.

If by touch up you mean putting some sealant on the screw you removed, and reinstalling?

That type of thing is done all the time. As long as the area being sealed is clean and the new sealant is mixed properly you should have no problem.

If by touch up you mean putting some sealant on the screw you removed, and reinstalling?

That type of thing is done all the time. As long as the area being sealed is clean and the new sealant is mixed properly you should have no problem.

I decided to remove all the sealant off the one screw and start fresh.

But what I originally meant was... Can I add sealant on top of clean sealant that has been curing for about ten days?

I decided to remove all the sealant off the one screw and start fresh.

But what I originally meant was... Can I add sealant on top of clean sealant that has been curing for about ten days?

Flame master may say know but many years of field experience says that it works just fine.

Here are two pages from a tank sealant installation guide. As you can see, it's virtually impossible to avoid putting sealant on top of cured sealant.

Tank_Sealing_1.jpg

and

Tank_Sealing_2.jpg

Assuming that the underlying sealant was properly stored, mixed and applied, it's fine.

By the way, a "mill" is .001 inch or 1/1,000 inch. So 250 of those small things is 1/4 inch.

Dave

I dunno about consensus, but here's a quote from Flamemaster's own Sealant Application Guide, Rev III, 2007:

Accomplish repair of undersized fillets after the expiration of the application time of the existing sealant as follows:
a) Clean the sealant and surrounding.
b) Apply additional sealant and fair onto existing sealant per in such a manner that the prescribed configuration is produced.

Here are two pages from a tank sealant installation guide. As you can see, it's virtually impossible to avoid putting sealant on top of cured sealant.

Assuming that the underlying sealant was properly stored, mixed and applied, it's fine.

By the way, a "mill" is .001 inch or 1/1,000 inch. So 250 of those small things is 1/4 inch.

Dave

Thank you!

I dunno about consensus, but here's a quote from Flamemaster's own Sealant Application Guide, Rev III, 2007:

Accomplish repair of undersized fillets after the expiration of the application time of the existing sealant as follows:
a) Clean the sealant and surrounding.
b) Apply additional sealant and fair onto existing sealant per in such a manner that the prescribed configuration is produced.

The Flamemaster tech did seem confused at first...now we know why :rolleyes:

Back