What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X rocket panel layout.

Gt-401

So I have had the rocket lite since mid August and we love it so much we have put 80 hrs on it so far. We have been on a couple long cross country trips and the basic panel is really starting to limit its utility.so I pulled out the piggy bank and started ordering stuff. So far the list includes

1. 10 in G3X display
2. G5 back up EFIS
3. Garmin 307 autopilot panel
4. Garmin GNS 625 Navigator
5. Garmin GTR 200 COM
6. And finally I’m going to try to shoehorn in a flush mounted iPad mini.

Does any one have a similar rocket panel, and suggestions on layout?
https://imgur.com/gallery/dahmC

Last edited:
I have a very similar setup in my RV8 and I think it's perfect, except for one thing. I wouldn't waste panel real estate on an iPad. I have an iPad mini too, but it is the easiest and cheapest thing to replace when technology improves (next month). Mine sits on my tilted, lightweight knee pad that is clearly visible in flight. And I can upgrade it to the next, maybe slightly larger iPad when I want.

I have installed a panel similar to this in a rocket, IIRC. Email me and I?ll see if I have a PDF of the layout.

I like the way this one came out, not a Rocket but close.

IMG_7756-1200.jpg

Wow. Thats a nice, clean panel with all the goodies. I like it. I'd add a strip of LEDs under the glare shield for some additional night lighting. There are times it's nice to have some additional lighting in the cockpit other than the instruments themselves.

Jesse,
That sounds like my panel(RV-4)but with more real estate! Should be easy. Use a RAM mount for the mini...

e5f9166587a61d6920fe431edbfc3fbb_zpsv1szobak.jpg

Here is a pic of the panel in my Rocket. 10" G3X in the middle, GNS 430W underneath, transponder below that and, being in Canada, the required compass is below that again (no electrons allowed).

To the right is a GRT Mini, (plenty of room for the G5) and below that are the 307 autopilot head, the audio panel, and an SL30 nav/com.

To the left is a VP-200. Doubt you are going to use that, and with the engine data available on the G3X this is available real estate.

20160119_142847%20(800x480).jpg

Do I see vertical power also in your panel? How have you liked it so far?

Yes, that is the VP-200, no longer produced or supported. I really like it, and when I redid my panel in 2015 I decided to keep it. It does everything the VP-X does plus quite a bit more. I have a spare as well so if it ever craps out I can replace it. If the time ever comes that I need to make a change I would likely go to the VP-X.

Us too.

We did much as Walt did, but kept the breakers on the arm rest to the right then only put some of the TSO switch type for the devices that are on the panel it's self at the bottom of the radio stack. Servicing is much easier and it keeps the system simpler.
Hope this helps, Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888

Here’s what mine turned out like with the same components in a RV-4, you should have a little more real estate to play with.
rsCX4DQJOxGRIFDsCtpJ-6LKzW8UmJTYDUptE6VJmbfddbnLJbeeMyq9JKmJh-lQO0qyhJ_g9ABG_x9RACz7ZRfTNyUXSviQPx5CzQlmNNnmGjAz2v7AmhXi0S0Aisy7adzD7vS_-OTC8OZxoP5LO5yph5RupoXUniS4JPXR1XY3Lh_AUbv7TXqos0oRaeCoxV9CrWmn9zNax2r-HyxRoEpilymwfJejslnEtD2XiXz9VkUSvfYwE0aXu2qcoFIGYzGUzDoPIbu6Qg7dF6-CIL1YdZaTWTduadNp8QOruS4I5zsRCQAV42OoekGw9DRg19a6_tdX-BsW0ZY54tDzUfqQ-Kxy2CkzDybMK9w0FohQ4Ih63mdLlbZ-wRyS8dhIPXkhOHSjG5POUkALD8XIUiJjQExBEXjxP7YoQ4tyyiYUfdxOcuNGMNlI7vFxqpedWZ7wOBjI6QAd17ySH1g0XkGZHLn7OTcrBfBMSX7W0E-RompvC7bYDfnEiTiIMSAe5Bg2ZCk9uQsNZaMfwGS5EWjO58JZ6DEbXbJDK5azFCzFGPg6KGDm7MjZUTMWTae3SHSHG_Mtj9zkHazW_8H6H1ofRJGH6HgxmqpJrVEzQhxffLo1ukHQMdI7GeW4fvK1DTAw_unX4o2iEyk6U6nw8MEbZHgPoia3=w1200-h752-no

If you’re doing a remote mount GTR200 and want dual comms without the $1000 audio control panel (waste of space and weight for a plane without VOR/ILS) a friend came up with a slick relay system ($15) that lets you have independent PTT buttons for each radio and works really well. We also have a Bluetooth receiver ($5) that’s wired into the music input on the GTR20 so I have wireless tunes. He also came up with a backup battery system that has the ability to run my full panel for 30 minutes and partial panel (GTN625&GTR20) for about 1.5hrs. It was about $30 in parts instead of however many hundreds the LiFe battery backups cost. Oh, and it charges with the regular battery, no need for an extra fancy battery charger. Those two things were not only better than the commercial options, but saved me $1500ish bucks, it’s nice to have smart friends! My wiring schematic posted here..http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=139898

Last edited:
Right hand or left hand?

Those are some great pictures. It is truly amazing how much power we can cram into these tiny panels!

For all you guys flying behind your panels. Would you rather have all your buttons set up for your left hand or right hand? I had originally planed to put the 307, 625, and comm on the right hand side of the 406. Thinking that I would be using the auto pilot and have my right hand free to push buttons, but now i am thinking that will not always be the case, and I would rather have them on the left. Will i spend more time poking buttons on the radio stack, or on the 406 display?

Next Question: my 406 will be offset slightly, but i will be using split screen 99% of the time. Can I put the primary flight display on either side of the split screen, or is it always on the left?

All that is a convoluted way to ask, should put the stack on the left or right side of the 406?

ipad.

I have a very similar setup in my RV8 and I think it's perfect, except for one thing. I wouldn't waste panel real estate on an iPad. I have an iPad mini too, but it is the easiest and cheapest thing to replace when technology improves (next month). Mine sits on my tilted, lightweight knee pad that is clearly visible in flight. And I can upgrade it to the next, maybe slightly larger iPad when I want.

Scott
I have spent a fair amount of time in the clouds with the iPad on my knee, I have concluded that looking down to see it there contributes to vertigo, which I am prone to already, so I am hoping to solve that problem by placing the Ipad in the panel, now the question is should I flush mount it with a guardian mount, or attach it onto the panel with a ram mount?

I am hoping that on the 406 i will use split screen with the PFD, and Moving map with engine gauges on the other side. Then have approach plates and weather on the Ipad.

Left side all the way for me, I don’t have to do a hand dance to turn on the AP or adjust the radio while hand flying. I could live with AP on right, but radio and GTN would drive me nuts on the right.

Nearly all of the screens are configurable, PDF, MFD and engine strip can be on either side, adjustable in flight. Comm window(s) up top and Xpdr also can go on either side. Also they just added the ability to hide any GTR200 display on the big screen, which I took advantage of to give myself more real estate for data boxes up top.

Nice

Here?s what mine turned out like with the same components in a RV-4, you should have a little more real estate to play with.
rsCX4DQJOxGRIFDsCtpJ-6LKzW8UmJTYDUptE6VJmbfddbnLJbeeMyq9JKmJh-lQO0qyhJ_g9ABG_x9RACz7ZRfTNyUXSviQPx5CzQlmNNnmGjAz2v7AmhXi0S0Aisy7adzD7vS_-OTC8OZxoP5LO5yph5RupoXUniS4JPXR1XY3Lh_AUbv7TXqos0oRaeCoxV9CrWmn9zNax2r-HyxRoEpilymwfJejslnEtD2XiXz9VkUSvfYwE0aXu2qcoFIGYzGUzDoPIbu6Qg7dF6-CIL1YdZaTWTduadNp8QOruS4I5zsRCQAV42OoekGw9DRg19a6_tdX-BsW0ZY54tDzUfqQ-Kxy2CkzDybMK9w0FohQ4Ih63mdLlbZ-wRyS8dhIPXkhOHSjG5POUkALD8XIUiJjQExBEXjxP7YoQ4tyyiYUfdxOcuNGMNlI7vFxqpedWZ7wOBjI6QAd17ySH1g0XkGZHLn7OTcrBfBMSX7W0E-RompvC7bYDfnEiTiIMSAe5Bg2ZCk9uQsNZaMfwGS5EWjO58JZ6DEbXbJDK5azFCzFGPg6KGDm7MjZUTMWTae3SHSHG_Mtj9zkHazW_8H6H1ofRJGH6HgxmqpJrVEzQhxffLo1ukHQMdI7GeW4fvK1DTAw_unX4o2iEyk6U6nw8MEbZHgPoia3=w1200-h752-no

If you?re doing a remote mount GTR200 and want dual comms without the $1000 audio control panel (waste of space and weight for a plane without VOR/ILS) a friend came up with a slick relay system ($15) that lets you have independent PTT buttons for each radio and works really well. We also have a Bluetooth receiver ($5) that?s wired into the music input on the GTR20 so I have wireless tunes. He also came up with a backup battery system that has the ability to run my full panel for 30 minutes and partial panel (GTN625&GTR20) for about 1.5hrs. It was about $30 in parts instead of however many hundreds the LiFe battery backups cost. Oh, and it charges with the regular battery, no need for an extra fancy battery charger. Those two things were not only better than the commercial options, but saved me $1500ish bucks, it?s nice to have smart friends! My wiring schematic posted here..http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=139898

Fitz,

I have a couple of questions (maybe dumb ones) as I have essentially the same Garmin components...all but I will probably use the ADSB newer transponder.

As far as functionality with your Comm 1 & 2, how do you switch back and forth between the comms in place of the audio panel to make one or the other the active....on your stick (from the relay of course)? Can you monitor both comms at the same time? What functionality do you sacrifice by not going with the standard GMA 240? I have the 625 as well. Could it be done without switching from the stick....either on the 460 or external button?

On your schematic box labeled "Audio Layout..."....I'm assuming that the box on the left that the LRU's are going into is the GTR200 correct? Have you been happy with the quality of the built in audio of the GTR200 as far as music etc?

Did you wire your own CAN Bus (harnesses & bus)?

to save weight and panel space...I like your solution here. Can I get more details from you or the smart friend

Great looking panel. Congrats.

Blue tooth

flitz

Please share your bluetooth solution for the music input, could it ever be used for phone calls also?

I can't figure out how to get my Imgur links to imbed. When I use the picture icon it just gives me an empty box where the pic should be.:mad:

If anyone would like to know how I addressed the Bluetooth please PM me. I don’t believe the phone calls would work, I don’t know how you would get a mic input to the BT receiver.

I use a Jameco relay and dual PTT switches to transmit, one for comm1 and one for comm2. The relay takes care of the work switching the mic inputs to the radios and the GTR200 Aux1 input is how it gets to the headsets. The only limitation is with a remote mount GTR20 you have to control the volume level with on-screen controls of the GDU460, or whatever G3X screen you use.

Last edited:
progress

8SJqMFyl.jpg

About a week into the build. the new panel is cut and mocked in place while the wiring harness goes in.
6VfSJUxl.jpg

The new fuse and switch panel. It was installed with a big multi-pin connector so that it can be removed easily for future upgrades i.e. (smoke!!)
poEb2BAl.jpg

F5mQoj8l.jpg

hoHToApl.jpg

I replaced the tru-trak servos for Garmin. Added a 406 ELT.
n7G8coHl.jpg

we put the ADSB antenna in the wing tip. We also tried an Advanced Electronics com antenna, but not much range. so I'll be keeping the belly whip antenna. if any one has found a way to internally mount an antenna I would love to know how.

The Finished Product!!!

7u7y5Dph.jpg

A pretty good use of space I think. And there is just enough room to replace the Ipad with a 7 in display someday if I don't like the Ipad.
zqg9ga6l.jpg

We put in a mountian high O2 system. The on demand regulator allows me to use the small bottle and still have enough for the round trip.
0HbHDDjl.jpg

Testing out the oxygen system coming home from a business trip into the mountains.
PT10BcFl.jpg

Last weekend we put the new system to work getting home from Dallas TX

Back