What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bleeding Brakes

T.O.Craig

Well Known Member
Hello to all,
Thought I would tap into the "Brain Trust". Getting ready to put brake fluid into the system. What are we using to pressurizing the system? I think I should fill from the calipers. Any hints would be appreciated.

Not pressure, vacuum

Go and get a mighty vac or something similar. Attach to reservoir, attach tube to bleed screw on caliper, put tube in fluid, draw a vacuum and open the bleed screw...

I use a pump type oiling can from the hardware store, slip a tube over the nozzle and fill from the caliper on up.

I use the ATS Blake bleeder tank which looks like a glorified garden sprayer tank.

225dx.jpg

Many have rolled their own.

The hose has a quick release and comes with a couple fittings to mount to most calipers. You attach the tank to the bleeder and run a hose out of the top of the reservoir to catch any overflow. With the tank connected to the bleeder and the tank's valve closed, you pump the tank up, open the bleeder, then open the valve on the tank. The pressure forces fluid from the tank to the reservoir pushing all the air out along the way. Takes me less then 10 min to do both sides.

large disposable syringe from farm supply place (50ml from memory) and a piece of vinyl tubing, push up from caliper bleed screw, my matco set up takes 1 full syringe,
cost, about $2.50 for syringe

Jay
CGVRZ

+1 Planecrazy

I do the same. Cheap pump oil can and short piece of tubing. Push fluid in from caliper until it runs out the reservoir. Much easier if the cap is off;)

I also do same as planecrazy. Remember, there will be times to bleed one side or the other and having that dedicated pump can ready to go is handy.

Bevan

I wrote an article on KitPlanes about making a pump similar to the one shown above. All the parts came from a hardware store and it cost approx $20. A few pumps to pressurize the tank and no more work. It was around nov/dec 2014. Everyone around the airport comes and borrows it. They just add fluid to the container.

I use an RC model electric fuel pump to both suck out the old fluid and pump in the new. To fill or extract connect the pump to the caliper.

I have a modified brake reservoir cap with a hose that I place in an empty water bottle. When filling I run the pump until brake fluid exits the reservoir. This helps ensure that any air bubbles are removed. Takes about a minute a side. (I have a reservoir attached to each master cylinder).

Thanks to All

Thanks to all for the enlightening. I think I will try the oil can method for starters. I think Harbor freight might have the MITY VACUUM also if the oil can does not work....

Just make sure you have the right brake connected to the right brake and the left brake connected to the left brake. Otherwise you can spend a whole day of cursing, wondering why the @#$% brakes won't bleed.

Ask me how I know......... :eek:

Pix of bleeder stuff

After reading this blog, I went to the car parts store and bought an oil can and scavenged a "push-on" connector left over from my pitot/AOA parts bin.
Threaded the "push-on" in place of the reservoir cap, with a tube dangling down to a bottle.
The oiler was connected to the caliper with clear hose left over from my manifold air pressure system.

Below is the "push-on" fitting next to the supplied screened cap of the reservoir.
IMG_8544_zpsra2n3qwe.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_8546_zpsktfvaem4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Below, you can see the smaller diameter clear tube added so I wouldn't have to hold it tight against the fitting. (the original was a little loose and leaked unless I held it tightly up against the nipple.) This also allowed me to get the 1/4" wrench on the fitting with out sliding the bigger tube partially off the fitting...crucial to keeping air bubbles out of the system. I used a little safety wire to seal the 2 tubes together.
IMG_8549_zpsjzbadl64.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

A couple of zip-ties insure that I don't make an even BIGGER mess.
IMG_8550_zpsw4xx0ugd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
oiler

I do the same. Cheap pump oil can and short piece of tubing. Push fluid in from caliper until it runs out the reservoir. Much easier if the cap is off;)

How much fluid does the pump oiler or syringe need to hold? Is 9 ounces enough to do one wheel on an RV-7A?

thanks

Back