VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-25-2017, 08:55 PM

One would think there would be more photos associated with an investigation like this. I've taken more photos of simple vehicle collisions than what is available in this report.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:13 PM

I noticed the NTSB report mentioned the 6G limit and weight of 1800#! Van's states the 6G gross weight is 1600#.. putting this one at or over gross (weight was estimated). Anytime you have two up acro..you are going to be close to or over gross and have to keep the Gs down. Have fun, a lot of fun, but be safe!
Old 08-10-2017, 12:54 PM

Default Tail question

Bill, I'm would guess the obivious that the tail separated first and thus the reason it's the fartherest away from main crash site. As to the reason of why it came off, well, I guess even the NTSB didn't want to speculate. The fact that it departed first is interesting. I wonder how many occurances of tail separations by type have occurred. My memory isn't what it used to be but I suspect the -3,-4,-6, -9, and -10 do not have the same frequency. If the tail separation causes can't be determined, would it be insane to assume that the data will get better over time without any changes ( that is, less tail separations occurances)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
Is there a technical reason for the VS with upper rudder attached to have settled to earth well in advance of the HS (L & R)? The report states the HS failed first, separated (and from the debris field) landed closer to the main site.

RV-3 Sold
RV-6a Sold
RV-9 Flying