What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

oshkosh highlights

Tom Martin

Well Known Member
Another short but great trip to AirVenture in the rocket.

The good

1. Spending time with old friends

2. catching the interview with one of the 1st WASP women pilots in WWII.

3. GRT heads up display. Way cool!

4. F1/4 rocket rebirth, so fortunate to have the option of building a rocket again

5. Band at the beer tent, a great show with lots of tasteless fun.

The not so good

1. only one; Getting to the show early afternoon sunday and having to go into HBC camping so far north that I was right up close to the north forty fence. There was still lots of room in the regular HBC area that was being used on Monday.
Get rid of type areas, first come first served!

We feel your pain being parked in the S 40 on "the island" while we look at all that empty space in Area 51 proper. Saturday arrival.
Oh well, things change and I'm committed to having fun.

I ended up out in the last spot in almost the last row by North 40 too, and thought its sucked, but I ended up thinking is was great. The yellow tram was close, North 40 store and cafe were close, bus to gate 41 to go to Fryar Tucks and other places was close, it was far from SOS so it was quiet and far from the parking lot and it's light so it was relatively dark. Only downside was how far the HBC pavilion and showers were. I think it was the best spot I ever had but to each their own.

Museum..

Wednesday, the forecast looked pretty crummy, so off the the EAA museum we went for my first-ever visit to the place.

Serendipity delivered us there just as the skies opened, and I happily spent the next hour completely spellbound listening to Dick Rutan talk about his round-the-world flight in Voyager One. Just totally lucked upon it at the right day/time...what a wonderful way to spend a rainy morning!

I didn't get to spend nearly as much time wandering around after Dick's talk, so another visit is much higher on the list for next year's trip.

If you haven't gone...DO IT!

Back