VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-11-2019, 11:21 PM

Interesting for sure. But the average Aeromatic blade is a bit clubby. This soaks up much of the prop's potential.

A modern carbon or refined wood/composite blade would make a big difference. I have flown behind Aeromatics for years. Nice. I would be standing in line for an improved and certified blades though.

Ron
Old 09-12-2019, 10:58 AM

I put Whirlwind W-530 blades on my Yak-55. These are direct replacement carbon fiber blades made for the Russian V-530 hub.
Whirlwind or Catto or (?) could certainly make blades for Aeromatic or other self adjusting propellers... if there was a market for it...for experimental aircraft.
RV-8 N89SE first flight 12/26/2013
Yak55M, and the wife has an RV-4
There is nothing-absolute nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing around with Aeroplanes
(with apologies to Ratty)
Old 09-12-2019, 03:58 PM

Default Ptops

The Aeromatics were by far the most popular of the early variable pitch props. Early on they were mostly seen on Stinson 108 and Swift .Somewhat later they were seen on many aerobatic airplanes. Many of the Warner powered airplanes used Aeromatic. Examples are modified Great Lakes and Monocoupe. They were also commonly used on the PJ260/Senior Aero Sport.The standard Aeromatic was completely automatic. There was a fairly rare Aeromatic that had a cockpit control. I believe all this did was lock the pitch into cruise mode. The standard Aeromatic did not have enough pitch range for anything much faster than the 140 m/h Swift.
Sensenich built a Skyblade prop which was two position. This was pilot controlled and is what the control arm on the front of some of the 0 290D's was for. A few 0 235's were also configured for this prop. There were some relatively expensive recurring AD's that pretty much spelled the end of this prop.
The Beech Roby was manufactured by Beech Aircraft. There may have been earlier history but by the first Bonanza in 1947 a variant was factory standard on the Bonanza for a relatively short time.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:27 PM

Tons of great information Thanks!

A Roby style prop really has my attention. Now that I've seen how they did it... and that it can be done I'll probably aim that direction.

I'm convinced I can make something Pretty light.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:45 PM

Default Props

Couple more points: the Beech Roby for the small Continental engines was mechanically controlled. A straight shaft from the panel to a gear behind the prop. I think all the Bonanza props were electrically controlled.
Flottorp also made a prop which was very similar to the Roby for the four cylinder.
Over the years there have been many attempts at electrically controlled props for homebuilts. None that I know have ever become popular.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:26 AM

It also depends on whether your engine is configured for a hydraulic CS prop. If it is not, consider MT or Airmaster. Airmaster tends to be a bit cheaper than MT, and people say they are bullet proof and much cheaper to service, and unlike MT they actually encourage you to service your own.

If it fails to maintain rpm in flight, you can still ferry the plane home by turning the controller off (fixed pitch).
Old 09-14-2019, 10:55 AM

Default Aeromatic

Post #13: "The standard Aeromatic did not have enough pitch range for anything much faster than the 140 m/h Swift"

Not accurate. The Aeromatic has been the go to prop for the Monocoupe 110 and 110 Specials (clip wings). The Warner 185 hp powered clip wings can easily cruise at 160 to 180 mph. Just needs to be set up correctly.

BTW, Tarver, the shop in Nevada is no longer making the Aeromatic props, but the last time I spoke with them were able to refurbish blades.

My Aeromatic:

Sedona, AZ
Old 09-14-2019, 03:34 PM

Default 49clipper

funny, no one even mentioned the all electric Airmaster prop currently built in New Zealand. I am putting on one my new homebuilt this next spring. they finally got them designed and built for 320's and 360 lycomings. a little pricey at 13500 but competitive. Uses whirlwind blades.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:31 PM

Default Monocoupe

I specifically mentioned the Monocoupe in post #13. I believe the reason the Aeromatic works well on the Warner is the relatively low rated r/m for the Warner. The numbers I find are 2050 max r/m for the 145 and 2175 for the 185. So these engines operate in a relatively small r/m range which favors the Aeromatic.
The PJ260 and Lycoming powered Chipmunks used geared Lycomings which also helped the Aeromatic work better.
Am I correct that the Warners are not set up for modern constant speed props and therefor the Aeromatic is the best of limited prop options???