What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Whirlwind 200 RV

Paul Eckenroth

Well Known Member
I currently have a Whirlwind 151 on my RV9A with an Areosport O-320, 160 HP. The prop has been overhauled 3 times in my 1000 hours and will need it again as it is spitting grease. Whirlwind suggests that they might not be able to return it to new condition due to fretting and suggest an upgrade to a 200 RV at a reduced price. I would appreciate hearing from RV9A owners with an O-320 with a report on this prop, engine, airframe combination. I have been relatively happy with the 151 except for slow return to fine pitch on runup and in the pattern. Good points are climb rate, smoothness, and quiet. I'm sure that with a 2 blade prop I could cut my cowling removal and installation in half which is a good thing. I will appreciate any comments. Thanks.

Paul

I'm happy so far. 700 hrs no issues.

IMG_20170609_200723_zpsaukl4ubj.jpg

IMG_20170609_211449_zpsohle2ckt.jpg

IMG_20170609_201034_zps5g6ry5mw.jpg

Ordered my rv200 the week before oshkosh and it shipped feb 2/23/19. I was quoted 6 weeks and it is almost exactly 7 months latter. Order early if you want one.

Last edited:
I've got one. 700+ hours, no problems. I do have a slight bit of pitting in that silver leading edge (See Steve Melton's pic). Bought the airplane from its builder, and it was like that then. They do say bring it in for inspection every 650 hours or 5 years, whichever comes first. I flew it to them up in Austinburg, Ohio in 2016.(About 60 miles northeast of Cleveland)

I've got one. 700+ hours, no problems. I do have a slight bit of pitting in that silver leading edge (See Steve Melton's pic). Bought the airplane from its builder, and it was like that then. They do say bring it in for inspection every 650 hours or 5 years, whichever comes first. I flew it to them up in Austinburg, Ohio in 2016.(About 60 miles northeast of Cleveland)

give the leading edge a buffing with micromesh 4000 or so. It's pleasant exercise with a beer.

Last edited:
I have the RV-200 on my -8A, very pleased with it's performance, however at just over 300 hours (three years time) it started spitting significant amounts of grease. It had always spit a little grease, even since new. Inspection revealed corrosion within the hub. I live in the central valley of California (fairly dry region) so I was surprised. Prop sat in shipping box, wrapped in plastic, on the floor of my enclosed hanger for three years between cowling fitment and first flight. Storing it on the concrete floor may have been a big mistake. Several expensive parts (large ball bearings, locking collars, etc.) needed to be replaced. Approximately 60 hours since rebuild, no grease spitting. Called the factory, discussed issue, they have offered to work with me during it's next required inspection, so I feel like I will be compensated.

Whirlwind 200

Thanks for all the feedback. I have a few additional questions. For those with the O-320 what length did you go with (70 or 72")and would you now change it based on experience. When you do your preflight run up does the prop cycle to fine pitch rapidly like other constant speed props. This was a problem I've had since new with the 151.

Paul

I put a 200RV on my 9A. Ordered it at the end of June 2017, shipped in 4 months which was a couple of weeks later than scheduled. Couldn't be happier with it - it's the best looking part of my plane. I've only got 37 hours on it, so can't comment on serviceability yet. I don't have much experience with any other C/S prop so I can't give you any comparatives. Prop cycle in run up is a little laggy pulling back to coarse, but doesn't seem abnormal, no lag pushing in to fine. I've got an IO-320 and bought the 72" prop.

Back