What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

canopy options on RV-8

diamond

Well Known Member
What are the non-slider canopy options for an 8, and how much extra time and money would be required to achieve a tip-up or tip-over configuration? Also, if a person bought a quick build fuse, would there be significant changes needed on the fuse, such that in the end there would have been little to no advantage buying the QB vs SB fuse?

RV-8 Fastback mods often include a tip-over canopy, like an RV-4's, but the fastback's canopy is cut down in size a fair amount from the standard -8's canopy.

A regular RV-8's full-size canopy is awfully big and bulky to modify into a tip-over, but I guess you could do it if you were really determined.

Having a slider canopy is a big part of the sexy fighter-plane-like aura of the RV-8. Taxiing back to the ramp, after a smooth landing in front of an audience, with that canopy slid back and your arm hanging out over the side is priceless.

QUOTE=Neal@F14;598956]RV-8 Fastback mods often include a tip-over canopy, like an RV-4's, but the fastback's canopy is cut down in size a fair amount from the standard -8's canopy.

A regular RV-8's full-size canopy is awfully big and bulky to modify into a tip-over, but I guess you could do it if you were really determined.

Having a slider canopy is a big part of the sexy fighter-plane-like aura of the RV-8. Taxiing back to the ramp, after a smooth landing in front of an audience, with that canopy slid back and your arm hanging out over the side is priceless.[/QUOTE]

Agreed on the taxi back option, Joe Cool P-51 driver look-a-like!
t6-trainer.jpg
[
However, larger RV "like" airplanes have the tip-over. My only concern would be that big canopy acting like a huge sail in any type winds. no so much tipping the airplane over but being bent beyond limits and cracking/bending something.

Tip over considerations:
You should have roll over protection, so you may end up with an RV-4 type roll over bar between the seats. The front seat view is better, but the back seater might not like it...
Tip over canopy would allow antenna mounting on top of the fuselage, behind the back seat.

This is hilarious! For years people wanted a slider canopy on the RV-4. We have now come full circle.

RV-8 Canopy

Why in the heck would anyone want a tip over on an RV-8? I fly a -4 and wish I had a slider. I had to make a bracket on the side rail and the canopy to keep it open a bit so I wouldn't roast while taxiing in the summer in Missouri. The problem with that is too much wind blowing your hat off or breaking squelch on the radio every time you push up the power. I would love to modify my -4 to a slider but it looks to me to be quite a task.

Only reason why im building a Fastback tip over is that i hate the roll bar in front of my forehead on the std RV-8 :eek:

Instead of a tip over

Instead of a tip over go with a Todd's Canopy slider and delete the slider canopy from the Van's Aircraft ofer.

Why in the heck would anyone want a tip over on an RV-8?

In my case, the tip over gives 3 very nice benefits.

1 more shoulder room.

2 better forward visibality.

3 better access to the front side of the panel.

If I ever get to do an eight, it will have the ShowPlane canopy.

Why a Todd's Canopy?

Instead of a tip over go with a Todd's Canopy slider and delete the slider canopy from the Van's Aircraft ofer.

Why? I've heard only good things about a Todd's canopy but wonder if you can be specific.

For me, shipping cost is an issue but may be one that I can overcome.

Thanks,
Joe

forward sliding portion

Anybody thought of putting the roll bar behind the pilot seat and have a forward sliding canopy front and rear sliding canopy for the passenger?.

I trained in the zlin 242L for my initial licence and while it was a side by side, they had a forward sliding canopy with some sort of rail system on the cowl. Pretty slick.

Building an RV8 with the showplanes mod and have been thinking about this lately.

Cheers
Andrew

Years ago I worked on a Berkut (think Long EZ on steroids) where the canopy is split behind the pilot's head and hinged at the roll bar (also behind pilots head). The aft canopy is hinged behind passenger's head just like the pilots. Both canopies opened vertical about the hinge, think F4 phantom style. Both canopies had gas struts that pushed/held them open. Here is a link: http://www.berkut13.com/fltops08/bcaf03.jpg. I was trying to come up with a way to do this on the 8 but I really want to get the **** thing done so I can go fly it?

Canopy

I used the Todd?s tinted rocket canopy with show planes fast back. Looks great and it?s a slider very tight fit not drafty in the rear. I prefer the roll cage over my head. To many buzzards to hit flying in Texas.

1 more shoulder room.

Umm, have you actually sat in an 8? I am 6'2 230, with broad shoulders, and there is LOTS of shoulder room. Some people have joked that in order to use the side armrests, you would have to be an orangutan.

sat in it, couldn't go any other way

I sat in both while at Oshkosh a few years ago, once I sat in the fastback there was no other way to go for me.

The extra room was great(I'm 6ft5in), it was very noticeable to me.

Moving the roll bar behind my head has two advantages: better visibility and a nice handle to grab for getting up onto the wing/into the back seat.

The tip over also makes it easier to get into the back as the canopy is out of way instead of partially out of the way like the sliders.

Additional benefits:

I've not flown mine yet(finishing up the canopy now) but I hear it's less drafty than the standard.

Higher likelihood of ejectability of the canopy

FWD instrument bay/panel access

I like the fastback appearance

Fast is in the name so it must go faster :p

Back