VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-05-2013, 08:20 AM

I don't see a problem with renaming Blackbelly. I've generated nicknames for each of our kids -- Sarah became "Ziggy" (she looked just like the cartoon character as an infant), Joe became "Skeezer" (no clue where that came from), and Carolyn was doomed to be called "Lumpy" (she grew a hemangioma on her pate when she was a week old ... what else do you call a kid with a lump?)

"Skeezer" never took. His sister, unable to pronounce Joseph, called him "Jofus." With a middle name of Daniel, his nickname transmogrified into "Jofus Doofus," and then just "Doofus" (which was pretty appropriate.) Now, as a grown man, he has reverted back to just plain Joe.

Smokey was right from the beginning. I knew that his paint scheme was going to be Navy TPS (gray on gray.) I occasionally found myself relegated to the shop to savor a fine cigar when the weather outside was uninviting. He was destined to be "Smokey."

Although "Blackbelly" has a certain charm to it, you have my permission to change it to something more to your liking.

Builder: RV-8 "Smokey"
Old 03-05-2013, 08:42 AM

Larry, Junior became "Tsamsiyu", following the old tradition (before ultrasound) of calling a fetus or infant "Junior" before Christening....in this case the new paint job. And, among religious types, there is a long tradition of assuming a new name at transition in life. If you have a good name that you like, I think you should go for it!
GNC255 Nav/Com, GA240 audio panel)
RV8, N188PD "Valkyrie" (by marriage)

Last edited by Louise Hose : 03-05-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:05 AM

Default Now that there is funny! Great sense of humor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8RV View Post
and Carolyn was doomed to be called "Lumpy" (she grew a hemangioma on her pate when she was a week old ... what else do you call a kid with a lump?)

Love this!
Old 03-05-2013, 09:21 AM

If you're taking suggestions: Spelunky. I always enjoy seeing your pictures of caves you find while flying and they make me think of spelunkers.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:21 AM

Default I call mine Al

Seemed to appropriate to pass up...

Whirlwind RV200
Dual PMags

Pitts S-1S Restoration in process!

Minneapolis, MN

Last edited by selhardt : 03-05-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:41 AM

Sometimes you have to get to know the airplane before you know what its name is. After a while, if it has one, you'll definitely know its name.

I once owned a plane named "Ain't Nothin' Easy." I have a different airplane now.

Dave
Old 03-05-2013, 09:50 AM

Nice original message. Thanks for sharing.
I'm not much for naming either, but ours is simply named 22C, and is referred to as such around here. The relationship part with the machine is totally true. I continue to spend a lot of time and effort cultivating that relationship. Heck, my relationship with the machine is probably at least as good as that with my wife! And she knows it. Our lives depend on it sometimes.
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)
Old 03-05-2013, 10:03 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrynew View Post
If you're taking suggestions: Spelunky. I always enjoy seeing your pictures of caves you find while flying and they make me think of spelunkers.
Careful now - calling a Caver a "Spelunker" is like calling a marathon runner a "jogger".

In the caving world, Cavers rescue spelunkers.... and Larry is DEFINITELY a Caver!
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 03-05-2013, 10:59 AM

I jokingly referred to the project as my aluminum mistress once to my wife. That turned into "the other woman" shorted to TOW. Recently I taught my wife to buck rivets to help with the wing. "Just what every man dreams of, a threesome". Good thing she has a great sense of humor!
Wings complete.
Fuselage in progress
Old 03-05-2013, 12:43 PM

I find it interesting to read all the references to "the other wife"...

As attached as I am to my machines, I would burn every one of them to the ground without a moment’s hesitation if I had to make that choice. I guess that's why I can't get my head around naming them. An airplane/car/motorcycle is still just a thing... it only represents time and money - not genuine affection.

Again, not trying to change anyone’s mind here... I just find naming inanimate objects odd.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
PA-20-inspired "family truckster" -in work