VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-04-2013, 09:28 PM

Early in the build I spent a number of hrs on the FAA website looking for "the tail number". All the variations that had mine or my wifes, or a combination of initials were take by some previous craft. (farging bastiges!!)

I finally settled on 72ME. A bit cutesy but it is what it is.
There is no specific nickname yet, but if you say Mike Echo really fast you will know why there were lizard images placed on the shop door by my wife.
Unpainted, polished....kinda'
My RV Construction Page

Last edited by rzbill : 03-05-2013 at 05:12 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:31 PM

Default After You!

Back in my single days I had a boat. It's name? "After You"
Then anytime I met a new girl, I would tell her about my boat. She would immediately ask, "What did you name it?"

My answer; "Why, I named it After You!"
<n168tx(at)flytx.net>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993
175hp O-320
3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Old 03-04-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIPCHIEF View Post
Often a pretentious name is given, but after a while, the true 'personality' of the airplane (boat, car, motorcycle, chainsaw, kitchen knife whatever) is revealed, and a more appropriate name emerges...
Originally, I named my RV-7 "Pride and Joy" after the classic hit by Stevie Ray Vaughan, but it just seemed a little pretentious as SHIPCHIEF stated. I don't know that I'll be able to really name her until I fly her (she's definitely female).

Last VAF donation - 4/22/2017
Old 03-04-2013, 09:40 PM

Default CLASSIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
Back in my single days I had a boat. It's name? "After You"
Then anytime I met a new girl, I would tell her about my boat. She would immediately ask, "What did you name it?"

My answer; "Why, I named it After You!"
Due to our friends with kids always wanting us to have kids, my wife and I, jokingly named everything in our house that performed some task and needed to be cared for (i.e. the humidifier, robotic vaccum cleaner, espresso maker, big plants, etc.). It became kind of fun to refer to them like that and we continue to do it. Our plane will certainly have a name. The only problem is that our 1 year old daughter thinks all vacuums are named "Pani Krysia," which is basically Miss Chrissy, in Polish (wife's Polish).
RV-10 (41PX Reserved) Fuselage
F-14 (Pedal Plane - Daughter's Project) "Flying"
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikrettig
Old 03-04-2013, 09:43 PM

It's funny... I've been a gear head my whole life and have strong emotional attachments to my machines, but I have never even considered naming any of them.

...Different strokes, I suppose...
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
PA-20-inspired "family truckster" -in work
Old 03-04-2013, 09:57 PM

"Angry Tweety"

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 03-04-2013, 10:20 PM

Default Agreed

I guess I don't really see a purpose in naming a plane. It's a plane!!!! Military planes have a history as to why they are named. So if an RV is modeled after a Military plane or there is some significant sentimental reason, cool. But naming for naming sake

I've got a buddies agreed "Living Will," that if I ever name my plane or put a stuffed animal in it that they have permission to put me down. Same applies to dress shoes with plaid shorts and a mismatched shirt, going to dinner by 4:30 and even thinking about playing Bingo.

As Mike said, Different strokes......

Same with pilot names...... I know they have a purpose in the Military and for the RV folks that do formation but otherwise same as naming the plane..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobuilder View Post
It's funny... I've been a gear head my whole life and have strong emotional attachments to my machines, but I have never even considered naming any of them.

...Different strokes, I suppose...
RV-7 N717EE-Flying (Sold)
RV-7 N707EE-Building
EMS Bell 407,
Eurocopter 350 A-Star Driver

Last edited by robertahegy : 03-05-2013 at 07:11 AM. Reason: poor phrase.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzbill View Post
Early in the build I spent a number of hrs on the FAA website looking for "the tail number". All the variations that had mine or my wifes, or a combination of initials were take by some previous craft. (farging bastiges!!)

I finally settled on 72ME. I bit cutesy but it is what it is.
There is no specific nickname yet, but if you say Mike Echo really fast you will know why there were lizard images placed on the shop door by my wife.
At first, I thought the ME was "ME", like Ricky Bobby in Talladega Nights:

Ricky: "What is M E?"
Susan: "Me" is you. Because it's just you out there. We don't have any corporate sponsors, we don't have any fancy team owners. We have you. And this car, and this cougar, which symbolizes the fear that you have overcome. It's all there for you.

RV-7A N660WS flying!
#8,000

Last edited by Flying Scotsman : 03-04-2013 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:29 AM

When I finished our -10, all of our women friends thought it was strange that I had not named it. One day while watching dog agility I noticed a guy working his dog, Loretta. Thought that was a pretty funny name for a dog, so the plane became Loretta. Now the women think that is weird, so I have gone from strange to weird. Is that progress?

Jim Berry
RV-10
Old 03-05-2013, 08:15 AM

Default Builder Doll

Naming the Doll was easy. After all, I painted her after Col John D. Landers famous Mustang, Big Beautiful Doll, which to this day, hangs from the ceiling of the Imperial War Museum in London. The hard part was putting the two words under my wife's name on the canopy skirt. It was easy for my name, and the traditional Pilot/Builder was chosen. But I pondered and pondered what to put under Marthajane's name. She was definitely a builder, as she bucked around 15,000 rivets during construction. But.....she is not a pilot.

Then as I was staring at the Beautiful Doll decal on the side of the fuselage it came to me. Builder/Doll .....So I put Builder/Doll under her name. It was most appropriate, and it earned me a very positive response from her.

As far a naming boats, cars, airplanes???? No harm, No foul!
Christen Inverted Oil
First Flight 12 July 2000
VAF Dues current for 2017

Last edited by Danny King : 03-05-2013 at 08:25 AM.