Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-04-2013, 07:57 PM
fugio ergo sum

Default Naming

I recently made a post about a flight with this woman who had never flown in a small airplane before. It turns out she is thoughtful. After the flight she asked me if my airplane had a name. I told her that it doesn't really. I made a stab at that but it never really took, although Doug Reeves has used it a few times. I also mentioned that it is just an inanimate object.

Today I got this e-mail from another location along her travel route, slightly edited for English not being her first language. Some good points there.

I thought more about the topic of names...

There is always a story behind names, both of persons and of "things", and sometimes it's not easy to find the right names... but every time man has discovered something new, he has named it. I think it's a way to say "I know what it is, it is not something unknown anymore"
We need names because we need to feel the world around us as something we can understand.

So throughout history, people have named mountains, peaks, rivers, caves,.... each little corner of the earth has gotten its name. But we also give names to cats, dogs, horses... Anything with which we have a kind of relationship. That's the reason why people don't give a name to an animal who is going to be killed and eaten; they avoid it just because a name would create a kind of relationship that they don't want to have with that animal.

In the case of your airplane, even if you think it is an "inanimate" object (i don't think so...), in my opinion you do have a relationship with it. You know it and you are even its creator! It takes you a long time and much energy and knowledge to build it, so it represents something really important in your life. It also gives you great emotions and allows you .... to fly!

I strongly believe it deserves a name!

Wow!

RV-6 N441LP Flying
Old 03-04-2013, 08:16 PM

Default PAUSE FOR THOUGHT

Thanks Larry, and to the lady.

I have not named our aircraft. I had never before considered the sentiments expressed by her in your post. Now I will reconsider.

Best regards
Financial until 2029
Old 03-04-2013, 08:19 PM

Default Well articulated!

So, are you embracing Blackbelly or will it have another name soon?

I have to agree. Most of us have a relationship with our planes and a name helps clarify that relationship. I know the names of our planes all have significant meanings to us.
GNC255 Nav/Com, GA240 audio panel)
RV8, N188PD "Valkyrie" (by marriage)
Old 03-04-2013, 08:23 PM
fugio ergo sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise Hose View Post
So, are you embracing Blackbelly or will it have another name soon?

I have to agree. Most of us have a relationship with our planes and a name helps clarify that relationship. I know the names of our planes all have significant meanings to us.
I really don't like Blackbelly very much. I have never been a good namer. She suggested a rather good name but you can't rename your airplane can you? Wouldn't that be against some kind of law?

RV-6 N441LP Flying
Old 03-04-2013, 08:30 PM

Funny, everytime I tell a guy I built an airplane they ask how fast it goes. Every girl asks what I named it.
RV-8 #82594 Flying since May 2012
Barrett XP-360, Catto 3-Blade, Dual Dynon Skyview, GTN-650, VP-X
Old 03-04-2013, 08:46 PM

.....Mine is Curious George...........

Rene'
N423CF
Old 03-04-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5lp View Post
... but you can't rename your airplane can you? Wouldn't that be against some kind of law?
Actually there's a long history of renaming people (probably places too). With the renaming comes a new level of maturity, wisdom, or direction. Robertson Davies wrote about this in one of his books (and I'm not Canadian and love his work and morned his passing). It's been a while, but I think he discusses this in the book, Fifth Business. If not, it was likely part of that Deptford Trilogy. Another example a lot of folks from many religious traditions will recall is God renamed Abram and Sarai and they became Abraham and Sarah.

So, I'd say as the creator of your aircraft, you're on solid ground renaming your airplane. There plenty of precedent and from the highest authority.
RV-9A 702DA (reserved) Finish Kit IOX-340
www.propjock.com
Old 03-04-2013, 09:04 PM

Often a pretentious name is given, but after a while, the true 'personality' of the airplane (boat, car, motorcycle, chainsaw, kitchen knife whatever) is revealed, and a more appropriate name emerges.
My T-18 was named 'Blue Max' by the previous owner. Now, after about 20 hours of flight we call it 'Feisty'.
The Cessna 172 somehow became 'Trusty' after that...
My RV-8 has a name, but that could change in a single event.
That's the way it goes sometimes...
RV-8 N89SE first flight 12/26/2013
Yak55M, and the wife has an RV-4
There is nothing-absolute nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing around with Aeroplanes
(with apologies to Ratty)
Old 03-04-2013, 09:19 PM

Default Naming

Larry,
Quite a lot of thought went into that soliloquy. No going back now, you have to give her a name.

My 46 Aeronca Champ acquired the name "Old Girl" because she, like me was old. My -8 got the name "No. One Girl" because of the fact there are 3 women In my life (wife and two daughters) and they needed to know how they ranked
"Bucket List" checkoff in progress!
Old 03-04-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff A View Post
Funny, everytime I tell a guy I built an airplane they ask how fast it goes. Every girl asks what I named it.
"Now that's funny ... I don't care who you are" --- LtC

The Gal is right... Seems you'be been schooled