VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-16-2016, 10:28 AM

Cool Landing Lights on Existing RV7A

I flew the RV7A that I purchased from the original builder at night for the first time this week to get night currency and check things out for night time flying. My RV has halogen bulbs in the wing tips along with the position lights and strobes. My first two night landings were terrible! Didn't see the runway surface coming up at me until I was on the runway (two rather firm landings). Compensating on the third landing I flared early and landed long. My wing tip lights obviously need adjusting (upward and more centered) but I am thinking that the amount of light being projected is also insufficient.

Does anyone have a recommendation for increasing the amount of projected forward lighting? Would LED lights improve the amount of projected light? I'm concerned about heat generation inside the wing tip if I went to a higher output halogen (already have one lens with a hole melted in it). How hard are retro fit LED lights and how expensive.

Converting to wing lights isn't an option because the airplane is already nicely painted and color matching I've already discovered is next to impossible.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:28 PM
Whelen LED Light Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankerpilot75 View Post
I flew the RV7A that I purchased from the original builder at night for the first time this week to get night currency and check things out for night time flying. My RV has halogen bulbs in the wing tips along with the position lights and strobes. My first two night landings were terrible! Didn't see the runway surface coming up at me until I was on the runway (two rather firm landings). Compensating on the third landing I flared early and landed long. My wing tip lights obviously need adjusting (upward and more centered) but I am thinking that the amount of light being projected is also insufficient.

Does anyone have a recommendation for increasing the amount of projected forward lighting? Would LED lights improve the amount of projected light? I'm concerned about heat generation inside the wing tip if I went to a higher output halogen (already have one lens with a hole melted in it). How hard are retro fit LED lights and how expensive.

Converting to wing lights isn't an option because the airplane is already nicely painted and color matching I've already discovered is next to impossible.
That is exactly what this kit was designed for. Low cost, reasonable solution. And yes, it is more light than what you have, much lower heat.

Old 11-19-2016, 02:10 PM

[quote=Tankerpilot75;1127169My wing tip lights obviously need adjusting (upward and more centered) but I am thinking that the amount of light being projected is also insufficient.
[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I used the cheap Duckworks lights before switching to Kahuna's.

My night landings are often better than my day landings even though neither throws a tremendous amount of light down the runway.

My theory? The moment when the light DOES illuminate the runway, is a great visual cue to use in my landings. And it's always going to be EXACTLY the same from one landing to the next... it tells me exactly where I am above the runway an what I need to do the rest of the way.

Now, if there's a moose on the runway, well, that a whole 'nother story.
RV-12 project status: Waiting for the RV-12iS fuselage subkit
Builder log
Old 11-08-2017, 07:29 PM

Default RV-14 Lens

Anyone producing a lens with routered edges to take care of the aluminum gap around the edges? Having a mismatch between the lens and aluminum does not look good.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:45 AM

If you don't want to or can't modify your tip for the Aerosun VX, we have the new Aerosun MX modular system that is now available. Here is a post showing an RV-10 with the Aerosun MX light modules installed:

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...63&postcount=6
Old 11-09-2017, 12:59 PM

The PAR36 light bulb that goes in the 14 leading edge assembly is a very common size and you can pick up PAR36 LED spotlight bulb on Amazon for example for under $50 that seem to be working out on some people's builds. I bought the RV-14 LED landing light assembly kit from Vans and deleted the LEDs themselves and got all of the brackets and hardware needed to fit the PAR36 bulbs.

Leesburg, VA
RV-14A kit # 140243
VAF 2017 and 2018 paid
www.mykitlog.com/chrismoon/
Old Yesterday, 09:34 PM

Smile Landing light

My RV6A has the original leading edge light, not nearly bright enough for me. What are some replacement ideas for the rectangular light? I would like to do it without to much modification.
Thanks!
RV6A owner
L19 sold
Dues paid 2015,16,17