VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-12-2017, 07:33 AM

Default Garmin 335 wizard

Where is this Garmin 335 wizard they speak of??

Installation is further simplified as Garmin has created a configuration wizard which streamlines the GTX 335 with GPS configuration process, ...

Michigan
RV-7
Cessna 140
Old 11-12-2017, 04:01 PM

Default I looked too!

I looked for it too, probably only available to their dealers
CFI-IA, AGI, IGI
RV9-A
Old 11-13-2017, 03:07 PM

Default Ground mode

I am not trying to high-jack this thread, but my professionally installed 335 won't go into ground mode like it should. The shop said it is a Garmin problem and Garmin confirmed. I manually used Standby to pass the rebate test on the second try.

Anyone else experience this?
Old 11-13-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von_flyer View Post
Where is this Garmin 335 wizard they speak of??

Installation is further simplified as Garmin has created a configuration wizard which streamlines the GTX 335 with GPS configuration process, ...

I have a copy I can send you, along with the instructions.

Garmin allows A&Ps to install the 335 but require a dealer to install the 345.
PlanePower Alt, FlightLines Interior, James cowl & plenum
All lines by TSFlightLines
NSDQ

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army

- - 2016/17 donation compliant - -
Old 11-13-2017, 09:11 PM

Default Found it

I purchased a Garmin GTX-335 and am installing it myself. I couldn't find the wizard and other documents I heard mentioned in various forums, etc. Today I registered my radio with Garmin and low and behold I now have access to all kinds of information, documents and yes, the wizard. I think there is a secret handshake mentioned somewhere in there as well.

Michigan
RV-7
Cessna 140
Old 11-13-2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnInReno View Post
I am not trying to high-jack this thread, but my professionally installed 335 won't go into ground mode like it should. The shop said it is a Garmin problem and Garmin confirmed. I manually used Standby to pass the rebate test on the second try.

Anyone else experience this?
This shows that the test is flawed. Standby is not the same as ground. You basically turned the transponder off and it gave you a pass.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:22 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by von_flyer View Post
I purchased a Garmin GTX-335 and am installing it myself. I couldn't find the wizard and other documents I heard mentioned in various forums, etc. Today I registered my radio with Garmin and low and behold I now have access to all kinds of information, documents and yes, the wizard. I think there is a secret handshake mentioned somewhere in there as well.
Yes, but you don't really need the wizard. All of the programming can be done through the front panel buttons per the section in the manual. I did it that way.
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 11-14-2017, 07:08 AM

take a look at youtube for a video. There are several posted, the one from Stark avionics is great. Surprising how much aviation information that is available on that site.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:32 AM

Default GTX-335

I just installed a GTX-335 but never heard of the wizard. I registered the transponder but never received info about any wizard. I configured it on the front face with install manual open (post installation checks- section 6) stepping through the process with the function button on the front. Each sub area of the functions has several sub menus accessed by pressing the down & up arrows (buttons 8 & 9).

There were several tricky parts

- Trying to figure out what format to use for the RS232 altitude source IN from the G5. There were descriptions in the install menu for everything but the G5. Had to call Garmin, ended up using ALT FMT 1 25 ft for the format but you also need to select RS232 1 for the source from the G5 #1 RS232. The G5 has 2 RS232 outputs I think.

- Was also a little fun trying to figure out how to program the remote ident (right China hat button on my stick). It's in the discrete menu and if wired correctly on the appropriate PIN it will come up automatically (J2351-36) when you select IDENT

- the funnest & most time consuming was trying to enter the N number & ICAO address from your registration card (yep- the one you carry on the airplane). It's not real obvious what order you press buttons to get the values to change but eventually you'll figure out how to do it. When I did, the N number input was easy but the flight ID is entered as OCT or HECTAL which I had no idea. I found the ICAO address on the registration card but it would only enter the right number of digits when I selected HECTAL.

Those were the tricky ones, the rest of the configuration was pretty straight forward and easy to figure out.

The GTX-335 passed the ADSB-out verification on the first flight. I was flight following with departure control for traffic advisories as I was flying the verification profile. Little bit of heads down time doing two 360s, climbs & descents, N/S and E/W tracks etc. We did a couple squawk changes and the controller said the codes popped up immediately. Altitude was also spot on.
"Sure is nice to have smart friends"

Last edited by olyolson : 11-14-2017 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:03 AM

Exclamation Gotcha

One other little "gotcha" that may crop up.

I would have thought that the altitude corrections would have a preset default to zero, but apparently I don't think like a Garmin programmer.

Once you set maximum altitude - 18,000 in my case - the unit defaults to 3 altitude calibration set points. You need to access each of those points and set them to zero correction to make the unit operate.

The required check by a certified avionics station will adjust these zero numbers if needed and based on a VFR or IFR certification.
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ