Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-6/6A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2017, 04:11 PM

Water found in gascolator was clear as spring water. There was no water or debris in carb bowl. Who and how much to overhaul carb?
Old 11-11-2017, 05:09 PM

Idle mixture needs adjusting? On the ground, I'd try the idle mixture test if that's possible.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopercod View Post
Idle mixture needs adjusting? On the ground, I'd try the idle mixture test if that's possible.
It is not unheard of but it is rare for the idle mixture to just change.

The first order of business would be to inspect to be sure that nothing else happened to make it change.
Carb. float failures are rather common. That is the very first thing (after the other things that have already been done) that i would check.

It doesn't require sending out for overhaul. You just need a new bowl gasket and a set of new screw locking tabs. Any halfway decent mechanic should be able to help you take a look inside.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 11-11-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley Price View Post
Water found in gascolator was clear as spring water. There was no water or debris in carb bowl. Who and how much to overhaul carb?
Call Russ at dgsupply.com

Fast turnaround, just do an IRAN. Be sure to tell him it's for an experimental.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:30 AM

As long as the cowl is off while you look into the float, check that all intake tubes are secure to the cylinders. An intake leak will also manifest itself most at idle but be tolerated at higher power. Free and easy check.

Paid through 2017! How about you?
Old 11-12-2017, 07:07 AM

Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skysailor View Post
As long as the cowl is off while you look into the float, check that all intake tubes are secure to the cylinders. An intake leak will also manifest itself most at idle but be tolerated at higher power. Free and easy check.
Plus 1 for this.....
Also, I have read many times about Carb bolts/nuts coming loose and causing a bad intake leak as well.

An intake gasket leak usually causes disturbance in one cylinder and therefore a rough ilde or hot cht......but a complete shutdown would most likely mean something worse. But not ruling anything out, it could be several intakes leaking.
Good Luck
D100-KMD150-660-TT ADI2- AS air/oil seperator. Vetterman exhaust with turndown tips.
Louisa, Virginia KLKU N94TB
Old 11-12-2017, 08:04 AM

Default Idle

I had the same thing happen several years ago at a fuel stop during a cross country flight.
Long story short, the idle adjustment screw had departed during flight.
Rich
Old 11-14-2017, 09:45 AM

While you are at it, check your primer circuit/fittings (if you have a primer). Make sure the primer isn't flowing when the boost pump is on.
RV-6A #20603: Emp done,Wings done, Fuselage done, Electrical done, FWF about done, Canopy done, Fiberglass/Finishing in work. Getting very close!
PP SEL / A&P
N616CG (Reserved)
I donate every year on my B-Day (in Dec)
Old 11-14-2017, 12:34 PM

i had a sinking float years ago. no problem with stalling at idle but needed to run a leaner mixture in cruise.
Stuart, Fl / S WINDSOR,Ct / Virgin Gorda, BVI
VAF #840 EAA AOPA FAC FABA QB SPA
RV HOTEL LOCATION oct thru may.
Pain Free by Pete Egoscue= your answer to all your aches and pains. 'suffering is optional"
addicted pickle ball player
Old 11-14-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
i had a sinking float years ago. no problem with stalling at idle but needed to run a leaner mixture in cruise.
Depends on how bad it sinks.

I have seen them them fail so bad that fuel was running out of the bottom of the air box if the electric pump was turned on during troubleshooting

A little more specifics....
There are a bunch of different float designs in use.

Some are metal some are plastic coated foam.

Some are molded plastic pieces that are ultrasonically welded together to form a hollow air filled space.

The foam examples will generally just slowly gain some weigh by becoming saturated with fuel.

The metal ones would partially fill with fuel because the seam was at the mid point and it would trap an air bubble above.
The welded plastic ones would just about totally fill with fuel because the seam was near the top of the float.
These were the ones designed and used by Precision. I think it was the chronic failure of these floats that pushed them to sell the carb part of their business.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")

Last edited by rvbuilder2002 : 11-14-2017 at 01:04 PM.