- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-09-2017, 09:46 AM

IO360 CS
Abeam the numbers 87kts half flaps.
85kts turning base.
Slowing to 80 base to final turn.
On final full flaps 70kts.
Carry a little power for wheel landing.
3 point just throttle back more on final for about the same touchdown point.
I have two flap settings half and full. Can't say I've looked at airspeed during touchdown.
Love the braking of the CS!
Old 11-09-2017, 10:07 AM

120MPH downwind, 100 base, one notch, 90 final, second notch, listen to the tower telling the red and white RV to keep the speed up, wheel land on the Green Dot. Keep power in and get off the runway!!

Many of you know what I am talking about.

Follow Mike Seagers numbers and procedures provided by Gil until you have enough experience to do what you need to do based on the field, field conditions, weather, traffic, density altitude, weight, etc.....

There are no set numbers but as you can see from the previous posts, your "normal" landing speeds will be in the range others have suggested.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:45 PM

Default Speed is Life...well sorta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrewer View Post
Members,

What pattern speeds do you use flying your RV-6

Wheel Landing: abeam touchdown, base, final, crossing the threshold?

3-pt Landing: abeam touchdown, base, final, crossing the threshold?
FB,
The aforementioned numbers all work fine but are quite a bit faster than I prefer.

Aircraft: RV"X": RV4 Wing/Tail/Gear legs, RV6 fuselage. My flaps and HS/VS are 15% smaller/shorter and wingspan 11"less than a stock RV6. 0-360J2A Catto Gen 2 2blade /945lbs EW 380X150X5 tires.

I have TWO sets of pattern numbers, STOL and Long/Paved/Prepared (>1500')
For STOL (unprepared surface, uncontrolled, under 2000' long) Modified overhead pattern flying down the runway at 800' AGL /120KIAS (observing runway conditions then entering a break turn in direction of traffic).
STOL
Downwind: 70 KIAS
Base/Final: 65 KIAS (1st notch manual Flaps)
Final: 60KIAS (2nd Notch) Power 1500-1700 RPM, healthy descent rate controlling pitch with power. Power to idle at touchdown in 3 point. Retract Flaps, brakes A/R.
(Why? Prop clearance, aerodynamic braking, weight of aircraft on ground etc.)

Paved (civilized, controlled, regulated etc.)I prefer an overhead pattern if conditions and traffic/ATC permit.
Initial for Overhead Pattern 150 Knots
Downwind:80 KIAS
Base: 75 KIAS
Final: 70 KIAS planning a wheels landing (better forward visibility, style points less shimmy and fun!)

Your mileage may vary...
Smokey

PS: You might consider adding "flame-out" (engine failure) landing practice to your bag of tricks, could save your life. Speeds: Best glide 80KIAS, straight-in flaps A/R. Divide your AGL altitude by 5 for conservative glide range in NM. (2500'=5NM)

Last edited by smokyray : 11-09-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:00 AM

Members,

Thanks for the numbers. Until I become comfortable in my new to me RV-6, I will use the following numbers as a baseline.

The Vso in our airplane is 58 mph.

mph kts
--------------------
Abeam: 100 87
Base: 95 83
Final: 80 70
Fence: 75 65
Flare: 70 61
Old 11-10-2017, 11:46 AM

In Dad's -6:

Midfield: 2400RPM (whatever speed that comes to, to stay out of the resonant range on the prop)

At the numbers or as required for traffic: Pull power off, hold nose up till I hit 68-73kt (light and heavy, respectively.. average around 70kt). Add flaps as desired while letting the nose fall through to maintain that speed.

Hold that ~70kt all the way to the threshold, bleed in the flare as required. I almost exclusively wheel land, sometimes tail-low.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokyray View Post
FB,

PS: You might consider adding "flame-out" (engine failure) landing practice to your bag of tricks, could save your life. Speeds: Best glide 80KIAS, straight-in flaps A/R. Divide your AGL altitude by 5 for conservative glide range in NM. (2500'=5NM)
It looks like you mean to take the AGL, drop two zeros, then divide by 5. So 1000 ft AGL you would call 10, divide by 5 = 2 nmi. That's an L/D of 12. Wow! maybe that's achievable with a fixed pitch prop? Not for c/s.

I take the first number from the AGL and call it the glide range in nmi. (L/D=6)

example 1000 AGL, take the 1 and call it 1 nmi. glide range.

1500AGL -> 1.5 nmi glide.
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet"
Hobbs 470 in 8 years
also LS-6-15/18 sailplane

Last edited by scsmith : 11-10-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:49 PM

I stay at 120 mph on downwind, base, and the initial part of final. I then slow up to 100 mph and dump all the flaps on which puts the craft immediately at 80 mph @ 1800 rpm. I fly 80 to short final and then bleed er back to 70. When I start the flare and reduce power it slows immediately to 65 and then I just land pulling power. (3point) If I want to wheel it i leave a little power in, stick the mains and then slowly pull the power as i lean on the stick. I like this approach as it doesn't matter if I'm at gross or light. No turns going slow close to terra ferma. Been doing this for 850 hrs with no troubles. RV6 Constant Speed IO-360
Old 11-10-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokyray View Post
FB,
The aforementioned numbers all work fine but are quite a bit faster than I prefer.

Aircraft: RV"X": RV4 Wing/Tail/Gear legs, RV6 fuselage. My flaps and HS/VS are 15% smaller/shorter and wingspan 11"less than a stock RV6. 0-360J2A Catto Gen 2 2blade /945lbs EW 380X150X5 tires.

I have TWO sets of pattern numbers, STOL and Long/Paved/Prepared (>1500')
For STOL (unprepared surface, uncontrolled, under 2000' long) Modified overhead pattern flying down the runway at 800' AGL /120KIAS (observing runway conditions then entering a break turn in direction of traffic).
STOL
Downwind: 70 KIAS
Base/Final: 65 KIAS (1st notch manual Flaps)
Final: 60KIAS (2nd Notch) Power 1500-1700 RPM, healthy descent rate controlling pitch with power. Power to idle at touchdown in 3 point. Retract Flaps, brakes A/R.
(Why? Prop clearance, aerodynamic braking, weight of aircraft on ground etc.)

Paved (civilized, controlled, regulated etc.)I prefer an overhead pattern if conditions and traffic/ATC permit.
Initial for Overhead Pattern 150 Knots
Downwind:80 KIAS
Base: 75 KIAS
Final: 70 KIAS planning a wheels landing (better forward visibility, style points less shimmy and fun!)

Your mileage may vary...
Smokey

The glide ratio posted seems optimistic instead of conservative. I hate doing math in public but it seems to equate to better than 11 to 1. I find 8 to 1 a better conservative number.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:53 PM

Default T & G Practice

Lately I've been doing several touch and go's. Practicing different approaches.

One thing I'm curious about as well, how many use power in the descent?

I ask because if I use 100mph on the downwind, slowing to 90 mph on base with about 10degrees flap, once on final full flaps, it seems like I need to add power to get to the runway. Usually over the runway end at 80 mph remove all throttle and start to flare at 70mph holding about one foot off until it finally stalls for a three pointer. This is a done using a normal approach distance, altitude pattern for a Cessna 172 or Piper Cherokee.

If I fly a real close to runway on downwind, sharp turns on base and final I can make the runway without any power, using the above airspeeds. Basically removing power, initiating a glide descent of at least 100 feet before turning base, a constant descent to maintain my airspeed for the base and final to the runway. Only way to consistently touchdown at the same spot each time means this close approach style. (not using power after turn to base)

Only one post has mentioned using power. Curious if using power on base and final is normal?

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Last edited by mbauer : 11-10-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:28 AM

If I'm fairly close in downwind probably 45 deg looking down at the runway abeam the numbers and pull the power all the way at that point it's a steep descent working the flaps in base and final to make it to the runway with a CS. It's good fun and practice!

I'd say the glide ratio of my 6 with power off is more like 6 to 1 with the CS? Just a guess. Compared to a 172, it's a brick!

Last edited by DNeufeld : 11-11-2017 at 12:47 AM.