- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2017, 12:53 AM

Question Top antenna reinforcement

Guys,
Does anyone have a slick method for creating an antenna stiffener plate for a top mounted antenna - comm #1 and ELT in this case.

Unlike my -6A, the -10 fuselage has a central stringer down the center of the tail cone and any large hole that is centered would seem to remove most of this stringer.

If I offset the antennae a bit from the center line I think the slight curve in the top surface would make them look crooked....

Starting on equipment selection and initial conduit/wiring installation.
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 11-05-2017, 03:43 AM

offset the antenna. you will be the only one that sees it slightly crooked.

Simplicity is the art in design.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:26 AM

Because there is a slight curve where you are mounting it, if you make a stiffener it will flatten the area above the stiffener and it will show. Ask me how I know. What I ended up doing is creating a stiffener that is fastened to each stringer, I then made shims and installed washers between the aircraft skin and the stiffener so the shape of the outer skin is unaffected by the stiffener. You will never notice the slight leaning of the antenna. The antenna is extremely stiff doing it this way

[IMG]IMG_1262 by Bill Peyton, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMG_1263 by Bill Peyton, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMG_1264 by Bill Peyton, on Flickr[/IMG]
WA0SYV
Aviation Partners, LLC
Old 11-05-2017, 09:08 PM

Probably a dumb question from the electronically challenged, but what's wrong with putting it on the flat bottom? Maybe under the wing at the airfoil high point (or low point as it were)?
Old 11-06-2017, 01:54 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernon smith View Post
Probably a dumb question from the electronically challenged, but what's wrong with putting it on the flat bottom? Maybe under the wing at the airfoil high point (or low point as it were)?
I like one on top - comm 2 for ground use - and one on the bottom - comm 1 for airborne use. Sort of standard on certified planes.

My two lower VHF antennae on my -6A have already shown problems at one local towered airport. It was not TUS but check the note at the bottom of their taxiway PDF diagram -

http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1711/00430AD.PDF
Old 11-06-2017, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
Guys,
Does anyone have a slick method for creating an antenna stiffener plate for a top mounted antenna - comm #1 and ELT in this case.

Unlike my -6A, the -10 fuselage has a central stringer down the center of the tail cone and any large hole that is centered would seem to remove most of this stringer.

If I offset the antennae a bit from the center line I think the slight curve in the top surface would make them look crooked....

Starting on equipment selection and initial conduit/wiring installation.

Mine is off center as well. I couldn't quickly find any pictures of the doubler, but the top is still rather flat. Yes, the antenna isn't parallel with the vertical stabilizer, but nobody seems to notice.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:27 AM

Default Another consideration

The location shown in the photos of mounting a top antenna on an RV-10 happens to be a prime piece of real estate for mounting ADHARS modules. I made a small box with aluminum sides and fiberglass pre-peg for the bottom, suspended from the two longerons on either side of the center line. The box came out light but very rigged - perfect for the ADHARS modules.

On my RV-10 the two comm antennas are on the belly and the ELT antenna is under the empennage fairing.

Carl
Old 11-06-2017, 08:45 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks Bill/Bob,

Offset it is.

I like Bill's method, and if I put the VHF antenna mounting holes in the stringer and put the larger ELT hole just touching the stringer, the offset will be quite minimal.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
The location shown in the photos of mounting a top antenna on an RV-10 happens to be a prime piece of real estate for mounting ADHARS modules. I made a small box with aluminum sides and fiberglass pre-peg for the bottom, suspended from the two longerons on either side of the center line. The box came out light but very rigged - perfect for the ADHARS modules.

On my RV-10 the two comm antennas are on the belly and the ELT antenna is under the empennage fairing.

Carl
My present plan (subject to change like most construction plans ) is to put my Dynon ADHRS one bay back from the antenna location shown by Bill P.

I think I will put two alum. angles across the fuselage fastened to the longerons. An offset down of a coupe of inches should keep the cross pieces below the path of the two rear seat belt cables. The center of the fuselage at that location should be clear of the battery, pitch AP motor and the elev. trim stuff magnetic effects, as well as far enough below the upper antenna.

See my earlier comment on not wanting two belly antennae.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
SNIP
See my earlier comment on not wanting two belly antennae.
Gil,

Build as you wish - I offer however that there is little, if any measurable difference between a top and bottom mounted comm antenna on our airplanes while on the ground. If we are flying 747s then maybe I could see the logic, but not RVs.

Line of sight comms are not really line of sight.

Again, build as you like but top vs bottom comm antenna performace is not, in my opinion, a factor.

Carl