- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfie View Post
What size area would you or did you cover for fireproofing the belly? Specifically:
Wider than the cowl outlet at the front? Full width of belly?
How far back from cowl outlet did you insulate?
Did you keep it the same width front to back, or taper towards the rear?
Thanks.
Johan
I did not! I may add this before first flight, but nothing yet.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfie View Post
What size area would you or did you cover for fireproofing the belly? Specifically:
Wider than the cowl outlet at the front? Full width of belly?
How far back from cowl outlet did you insulate?
Did you keep it the same width front to back, or taper towards the rear?
Thanks.
Johan
I made a fiberfrax and SS sandwich on the belly of my bird. I used the 1/16" Fiberfrax and 0.010" SS sheet. It came out nicely, with no noticeable pillowing. My belly shield is full width, going back about 20" in the middle and tapering a little further back along the sides. I intend to use 1/8" Fiberfrax and 0.010" SS sheet for the fire wall, secured with SS rivets. The SS sheet is thick enough that it doesn't wrinkle much, so I think my finished product will weather nicely in the engine compartment, although I'm not yet finished with it. Folding the SS sheet to get a nice infill in the recessed box in the firewall is difficult. For that I intend to use a thinner SS sheet (I think it's 0.005"). I will use aluminum tape for a seam, in order to provide a place for venting in a fire event.
RV-10 (41PX Reserved) Fuselage
F-14 (Pedal Plane - Daughter's Project) "Flying"
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikrettig
Old 11-06-2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
Do you recall specifically what stainless tape you used (or the supplier)?
I don't know the specific brand of tape, but I believe I bought it with the foil from McMaster Carr.
F1 EVO Rocket, first flight May 31/14
Old 11-07-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppilotmike View Post
I made a fiberfrax and SS sandwich on the belly of my bird. I used the 1/16" Fiberfrax and 0.010" SS sheet. It came out nicely, with no noticeable pillowing. My belly shield is full width, going back about 20" in the middle and tapering a little further back along the sides. I intend to use 1/8" Fiberfrax and 0.010" SS sheet for the fire wall, secured with SS rivets. The SS sheet is thick enough that it doesn't wrinkle much, so I think my finished product will weather nicely in the engine compartment, although I'm not yet finished with it. Folding the SS sheet to get a nice infill in the recessed box in the firewall is difficult. For that I intend to use a thinner SS sheet (I think it's 0.005"). I will use aluminum tape for a seam, in order to provide a place for venting in a fire event.
Mike,
Thanks. What I was looking for.
When you say sandwich, did you wrap the fiberfrax between two layers of SS, then attached that to the belly, or is it belly skin, fiberfrax covered by SS? If it is the latter, how did you manage the sharp edges of the SS foil?
What method of attachment did you use?
I have not worked with 0.010" SS foil (my firewall was done with 0.002) and wonder how easy it is to work with the 0.010", like bending, folding on itself, cutting and making holes. I was contemplating using 0.005" on the belly but will go with 0.010" if it is easy to work with.
Thanks for your response.
Johan
Old 11-07-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:

Mike,
I looked for pictures of your install on your builder's site, but could not find the belly fireproofing. Could you point me in the right direction please.
Thanks.
Johan
Old 11-07-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Mike,
Do you remember where you got your .01" SS foil? My search on internet was not fruitful for a wide piece that can be used on the FW.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:16 PM

Sorry I've been away for a while. Work gets in the way!
My belly shield consists of 1/16" FFrax against the belly skin (aluminum) with a 0.010" SS sheet over that, riveted to the structure. The O.010" SS sheet was easy to work with and allowed me to break the edges, so that when everything was riveted in place the edges of the SS stayed tight, without lifting up. The FFrax compresses a bit during riveting, but overall the pillowing is not very evident in the finished structure (probably also due to the thicker SS sheet). Below are some links to the VAF post where I list where I got the SS sheet and also to my weblog, which hasn't been updated in months, but shows the finished belly shield.

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...t=sheet&page=2

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displa...=222385&row=80

I will do 1/8" FFrax on the firewall, similar to what Dan Horton has recommended. My SS sheet will be held in place there using SS rivets, symmetrically spaced across the firewall.
RV-10 (41PX Reserved) Fuselage
F-14 (Pedal Plane - Daughter's Project) "Flying"
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikrettig