Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2017, 02:18 PM

Default Tapping Plexiglass Rear Window - Really?

About to fit and install the back window. Plans say to tap both the window and the rollover structure for the attachment screws. As paranoid as I am to avoiding any sharp edges on plexigalss canopy/window, I am perplexed as to why I should tap both the plexiglass and the underlying structure. Seems to me that I will introduce a helix of sharp edges at each screw hole by doing so...and what purpose does it serve versus a smooth hole? How did this go for those that have done this?
Old 11-03-2017, 02:23 PM

Unless things have changed the plex is not tapped. My plans said countersink the plex, not tap it.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:01 PM

Things have changed (at least from what the lexan rear window install procedure was, and I don't think the plans say to countersink either because truss head screws are used).
Years of experience has shown that one thing that is a big challenge for many builders is threading/tapping a hole straight.

More recent plans sections (RV-14 and now acrylic rear window plans for RV-12) have you drill a hole in the window and the metal structure (in this case rollbar) and then tap with the window in place. The window is soft and the tap will start easily and self straighten when it gets to the metal structure.
After all the holes are threaded, the window is removed and all the holes in the window get enlarged to appropriate size for the screws that are used.

You did read the entire section first before starting to get an understanding of will be happening didn't you?

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 11-03-2017, 04:13 PM

Hi Scott, I was just going to try and put the OPs mind at ease, I remember tapping all those holes in the plex rear window and it worked out fine, just as it says on page 25A-03, step 2. When I read your response about later enlarging the tapped holes, I didn't remember doing that step. I think you actually leave the front row of holes (in the rear window) tapped, they don't get touched again. The rest of the holes in the rear window get final drilled to #27. I could have missed it though....bottom line, the tapped holes in the plex are holding up fine on my install. Certainly no sign of cracks at 43.0 hours
Old 11-03-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstraub View Post
Hi Scott, I was just going to try and put the OPs mind at ease, I remember tapping all those holes in the plex rear window and it worked out fine, just as it says on page 25A-03, step 2. When I read your response about later enlarging the tapped holes, I didn't remember doing that step. I think you actually leave the front row of holes (in the rear window) tapped, they don't get touched again. The rest of the holes in the rear window get final drilled to #27. I could have missed it though....bottom line, the tapped holes in the plex are holding up fine on my install. Certainly no sign of cracks at 43.0 hours
Paul, Step 6 has you final drill the remaining holes in the window to #27 (by remaining it basically mean all holes because the ones common to the aft skin were drilled #30 and the ones common to the roll bar were drilled 36 and tapped).

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 11-03-2017, 05:04 PM

Ahh, OK. I definitely missed that. I did see that step 6 said to 'Final drill' the #30 holes, so just assumed that was all. It's kind of funny, the forward rear window holes get 'final' drilled twice....once in step 2 and again in step 6.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:11 PM

Having just got to this bit, I also wondered.....

Sometimes, instructions of some importance get hidden or put at the end of a piece and can be easily over read.

As plans get revised, it would be great to collect some of the OMG gotchas and box them on the side of the particular print or passage in the instructions. Wouldn't take long and would be very helpful.

For an example - the quoting of all the part numbers in full means that sometimes you begin to speed read (bit like Tolkien books) and some of these little tidbits get missed

Donated in 2017
Old 11-03-2017, 05:30 PM

Default BUILDER HINT!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike newall View Post
Having just got to this bit, I also pondered.....
Sometimes, instructions of some importance get hidden or put at the end of a piece and can be easily over read.
As plans get revised, it would be great to collect some of the OMG gotchas and box them on the side of the particular print or passage in the instructions. Wouldn't take long and would be very helpful.
For an example - the quoting of all the part numbers in full means that sometimes you begin to speed read (bit like Tolkien books) and some of these little tidbits get missed
NEVER "SPEED READ" PLANS!
<n168tx(at)flytx.net>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993
175hp O-320
3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Old 11-03-2017, 06:05 PM

Thanks guys.

I think Paul had it right the first time though. The holes in the roll bar and window were already "final drilled" to #36 in step 2. By "Final drill #27 the remaining #30 holes" in Step 6, I'm pretty sure it means the ones in the aft turtle deck skin and window in that area. Since they are #30. The ones associated with the roll bar were never drilled to #30 anyway. At least that my interpretation of the english.

All that said, here is an indication that Scott may be right with respect to Van's intent - the drawing, Fig. 2 25A-04, seems to show enlarged smooth holes in both areas of the window.

Firing off a question for Van's Support.

Last one for you guys though, will a plexiglas bit do well in the aluminum roll bar? Did you swap to a regular bit when you got that deep?
Old 11-03-2017, 06:11 PM

Your plexi bit will have no problem drilling through the roll bar, and later the front canopy bow.
I think you may find that the screws will not fit the #36 holes you 'match drilled' prior to tapping. The screw holes need the extra clearance to allow for the different expansion rates between plexi and the screws.
Cheers, DaveH

Last edited by daveyator : 11-03-2017 at 06:20 PM. Reason: More info