- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2017, 07:55 PM

Default RV10 Fuselage QB differences vs plans

Hi Everyone,
Before I made the Quick Build vs Slow Build decision I saw several posts listing either good or mixed feedback. One thing that I didn't expect was that the QB Fuselage may have differences compared to the plans. This was a surprise for me and I wanted to share my experience. I didn't include things like missing grommets or bolts installed backwards but instead focused on the larger items:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/stdg9oflf6...ings.docx?dl=0

After several discussions with Vans they emphasized that what they provide is a QB they deem airworthy but it certainly isn't perfect nor is it guaranteed to match the plans. I have to admit the quality of the work done is good except for the items I mentioned above. In my opinion, if you are hoping for perfection then you will have to pay a higher price tag to co-build it with a company like Synergy Air.

What I got was a QB Fuselage where I will have to spend several hours fixing these items per Vans recommendations.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:34 PM

Default QB

I can say that I did not have some of these issues but did have some others. Overall I found the QB kit assembled correctly with minor errors.

That being said, NO ONE has built a perfect airplane...ever. No matter how hard you try, there will be oops moments. A good example is riveting in the tailbone, late in the build, and dropping the tungsten bucking bar. Are you willing to start again to remove the defect? Probably not. There will be many oops moments along the way...some, you can let slide, some you need to talk to Vans about, and yes, some will require replacement or rebuilding. Have fun with it and keep your eyes on the prize...

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
Doors - Done
On Gear
290 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful

Dues Paid 2016,...Thanks DR+
Old 11-01-2017, 10:17 PM

Default Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloff View Post
In my opinion, if you are hoping for perfection then you will have to pay a higher price tag to co-build it with a company like Synergy Air.
It's worth every penny. The quality difference is noticeable and the skills you learn are invaluable. Besides that, it's a lot of fun working with the Synergy Air team.

Locust Grove, GA
DA20-A1 Katana "Princess Amelia"
RV-7A under construction
RV-10 under construction
2016 Donation made
Old 11-01-2017, 10:20 PM

All of those issues are minor bumps in the road. My guess is that you'd create more rework if you built the fuse yourself.

I had a few problems with my QB -10 fuse. Nothing more or less than I expected, particularly at the relatively low price they charge for all of that work.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Hi Everyone,
Before I made the Quick Build vs Slow Build decision I saw several posts listing either good or mixed feedback. One thing that I didn't expect was that the QB Fuselage may have differences compared to the plans. This was a surprise for me and I wanted to share my experience. I didn't include things like missing grommets or bolts installed backwards but instead focused on the larger items:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/stdg9oflf6k0pvg/RV10%20QB%20Findings.docx?dl=0

After several discussions with Vans they emphasized that what they provide is a QB they deem airworthy but it certainly isn't perfect nor is it guaranteed to match the plans. I have to admit the quality of the work done is good except for the items I mentioned above. In my opinion, if you are hoping for perfection then you will have to pay a higher price tag to co-build it with a company like Synergy Air.

What I got was a QB Fuselage where I will have to spend several hours fixing these items per Vans recommendations.
A quick review of your issues shows a few omissions in common with mine. Hmmm. I never did hear back from Van's on my question about the aft holes of the bottom mid fuse skin being dimpled when they shouldn't have been. Overall I'm a bit underwhelmed so far.

I was looking at the holes in Figure #! without the rivets and it looks like those can have solid bucked rivets after countersinking without using pulled rivets.
RV10 - Empennage (Started March 2017)
St. Albert, Alberta, Canada
2017 dues paid
Reserved:C-GRPY (GRumPY)

Last edited by RandyAB : 11-01-2017 at 11:12 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:12 PM

Iíve found the best way to reach them is to call during their tech support hours.

Ask for Eric, who is currently building an RV10.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:31 PM

I must of had the 'Alpha' crew do my QBs. I had zero issues I would consider major. I had to drill out a few rivets, maybe do some steps they skipped but nothing that caused any issues.
Donated for 2017
Old 11-03-2017, 12:03 AM

Default QB fuselage

If i compare the mistakes I made to the ones on the QB fuselage and wings that I bought. My list is a hole lot longer.

Unless you are planning to build a grand champion airplane buy the the QB fusleage. The time saved is well worth the cost and having to fix the few factory built issues is minor in the over all build process.
RV12 Southern Arizona Teen Aviation empennage & tail cone completed
RV10 flying since July 2014- 350 hours as of May 2017
RV6A purchased and flying
Old 11-03-2017, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Hi Everyone,
https://www.dropbox.com/s/stdg9oflf6...ings.docx?dl=0

The first thing I'll say is that Van's treated me very well. They have great customer service and stand behind their products.

That being said...I returned my first RV-7 QB fuselage do to poor workmanship. The QB fuselage that I returned was just not acceptable to me. There were inspection stamps next to most of the errors

I also didn't relish the idea that I would have to spend so much time undoing what professionals had messed up.

I returned the fuselage to the Van's factory. While there I inspected six other QB fuselages and none of them had problems like mine.

I'm very happy with the one I brought home.

RV-7 Slider #74572
Empennage (sans fiberglass), ailerons and flaps complete.
Working on wing and fuel tanks.
Donated 2017
Old 11-03-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfleming View Post

I returned the fuselage to the Van's factory. While there I inspected six other QB fuselages and none of them had problems like mine.

I'm very happy with the one I brought home.
That is easier when you live in Oregon....
RV10 - Empennage (Started March 2017)
St. Albert, Alberta, Canada
2017 dues paid
Reserved:C-GRPY (GRumPY)