- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-6/6A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRice View Post
I've never understood the desire to get the tail up as quickly as possible.
+1. Also never understood the desire to keep the tail up as long as possible with full forward stick on wheel landings. Good reasons not to. Never understood the desire or need to jack the tail way high and visually acquire the pavement 10 ft. in front of the nose during a 6-8 second take off roll. Airplanes with REAL forward vis issues will cure folks of this desire. Some people do stuff for fun, and that's fine. Every airplane is different. There is nothing unique at all about handling a tailwheel RV on the ground.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:52 AM

Yesterday I had a chance to get a sight picture with the tail raised to level.

I had two friends raise the tail and we placed two oil boxes under the tail wheel. This raised the tail 30 inches and was essentially made the fuselage level.

I did this to get a feel for prop clearance and I was happy to see that the prop still had over 12 inches of clearance.

I then go in the plane to observe the sight picture.

My next flight is Monday - can't wait.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:28 AM

Default Agreed

Exactly as I've been taught and practiced for years Jim.
FLYING!
Old 11-03-2017, 06:08 AM

I raise the tail on takeoff because I've found it to be the shortest takeoff roll for me. That being said I used to do 3 point takeoffs in Cessna 140s and just about any other light tailwheel I've flown. And wheel landings are a ton of fun - that's why I do them when I do them.

This is no different than the discussion about approaches to landings. There isn't a pre-determined, one size fits all solution. You need to be proficient at all options.

‘To the man with only a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.’ That’s a perfectly disastrous way to think and a perfectly disastrous way to fly an airplane.

Don
Old 11-03-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtw_rv6 View Post
I raise the tail on takeoff because I've found it to be the shortest takeoff roll for me. That being said I used to do 3 point takeoffs in Cessna 140s and just about any other light tailwheel I've flown. And wheel landings are a ton of fun - that's why I do them when I do them.

This is no different than the discussion about approaches to landings. There isn't a pre-determined, one size fits all solution. You need to be proficient at all options.

‘To the man with only a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.’ That’s a perfectly disastrous way to think and a perfectly disastrous way to fly an airplane.

Don
I agree about the shortest takeoff is where you get the tail up so the wing's angle of attack is pretty close to zero so it reduces drag. But do you raise the tail by using full forward stick from application of throttle until the tail comes up? Unless doing a 3 point takeoff, the tail eventually has to come up some. I think it is better to keep the tailwheel on the ground until sufficient (tail) flying speed is developed and then a bit of forward stick or releasing back pressure will let it rise but with sufficient control authority. If every takeoff is short field and requires it, I agree. But there are trade offs for getting that short distance. One is decreased controlability when the tailwheel isn't steering but the rudder isn't really effective. Many airplanes tail will "fly" when the rudder isn't necessarily effective. Throw in a little left crosswind and forcing the tail up too early can cause a swerve to the left.

All that said, fortunately, the RV series isn't rudder limited greatly. Unfortunately, someone may develop some habits in an RV that will cause them grief in other taildraggers. I watched it happen in a Pitts. Pilot had a great deal of t/w time in lightweight planes such as Cub, Champ, Kitfox, etc. He did what he always did. He popped the tail up and the plane darted off the left side of the runway...and the Pitts has a pretty darned effective rudder.

I agree, there is no one size fits all when it comes to flying taildraggers.

1994 RV-4 N4WJ (Purchased/Flying)
1946 J-3 Cub N7155H (Restored/Flying)
1946 Globe Swift N3368K (Purchased Restored/Flying SOLD)
1987 Starduster Too SA-300 (Purchased/Flying/SOLD)
1994 V6STOL (Built w/dad/SOLD)

US Army Retired (still working to pay for flying)

When my ship comes in, I'll probably be at the airport.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:17 PM

Heck,

By the time my throttle is fully in - I am airborne !

No time for forward stick

Donated in 2017