Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2017, 11:01 AM

Mine hasn't had any big mistakes (so far, knock on wood), many cosmetic issues. If you're expecting a pristine perfect fuse or wing don't order the QB. However, I'm painting, and the QB is taking about a year off my build time.
#140376 RV-14A QB IO-390 Thunderbolt
Reserved: N196
Progress: Finishing Kit
Old 10-31-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkervaski View Post
Mine hasn't had any big mistakes (so far, knock on wood), many cosmetic issues. If you're expecting a pristine perfect fuse or wing don't order the QB. However, I'm painting, and the QB is taking about a year off my build time.
Cosmetic blemishes are one thing. Mine are not perfect but nothing I can't live with, especially given that I'm going to paint. Build errors are whole different issue though. I expect it to be built exactly to plans. I don't think that is unreasonable.
RV10 - Empennage (Started March 2017)
St. Albert, Alberta, Canada
2017 dues paid
Reserved:C-GRPY (GRumPY)
Old 10-31-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Build errors are whole different issue though. I expect it to be built exactly to plans. I don't think that is unreasonable.
Agreed ...
Old 10-31-2017, 07:52 PM

For what you pay for the quickbuild kit versus the standard kit, Iím not surprised by the issues you all are seeing. Itís a cost-benefit thing. They could be much more accurate and professional, but that would cost a lot more. They are a production shop, not a custom shop. Itís all about quantity with fairly good quality, not all about quality with fairly good quantity.

The RV-10 kit is so accurately prepunched that you can go ahead and drill, deburr and dimple the matching holes for the ones already dimpled and move on. Now, if the dimpled holes werenít drilled to full size before being dimpled, thatís a serious problem as that can lead to cracking. I would inspect closely first.
RV Hotel (hangar, room, car) at X35 in north FL

Commercial ASEL/S A&P/IA EAA Technical Counselor

Dynamic Prop Balancing, Prebuy Inspections, Condition Inspections, Repairs and Mods, Injector Tuning, Airframe, Engine, Panel Upgrades, Ferrying, etc.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Now, if the dimpled holes werenít drilled to full size before being dimpled, thatís a serious problem as that can lead to cracking. I would inspect closely first.
Yes, I'm concerned about that. I had a look and there is no gross cracking in the dimples at this point for what it is worth.
RV10 - Empennage (Started March 2017)
St. Albert, Alberta, Canada
2017 dues paid
Reserved:C-GRPY (GRumPY)
Old 11-02-2017, 06:30 AM

I am/was thinking about going either quickbuild wing or quickbuild wing and fuse. This thread has me strongly questioning the quickbuild route. I don't mind a few cosmetic blemishes as I plan to paint. But I can't tolerate poorly formed dimples, holes in the wrong places or dimples with cracks.

I really like building, but due to my age, think that a quickbuild may be the way to go. (I'm just about finished with the -14 emp).

Can anybody be more specific with regard to quality issues?
Old 11-02-2017, 07:59 AM

Default QB

As I posted earlier, I have the QB wings and fuselage. There were a couple of minor issues but the overall quality was fine. I would not hesitate to do the QB again...

No one has built a perfect airplane...ever.

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
Doors - Done
On Gear
290 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful

Dues Paid 2016,...Thanks DR+
Old 11-02-2017, 08:31 AM

I have been in this game for a long time and I can say with a great deal of confidence, "on average the quality of a finished aircraft, using quick built assemblies, is much better then most first time builders actually achieve"
Of course serious errors in a quick build structure are not acceptable. Most of the errors that have been discussed in this thread are things that can be worked around without a lot of time or effort. If you want a polished perfect aircraft, build it all yourself, and allow for years of added time.
Build on!
2010 SARL Rocket 100 race, average speed of 238.6 knots/274.6mph
RV4, RV7, RV10, two HRIIs and five F1 Rockets
RV14 Tail dragger under construction #153

Fairlea Field
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS
fairleafield@gmail.com

Last edited by Tom Martin : 11-02-2017 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflex View Post
I am/was thinking about going either quickbuild wing or quickbuild wing and fuse. This thread has me strongly questioning the quickbuild route. I don't mind a few cosmetic blemishes as I plan to paint. But I can't tolerate poorly formed dimples, holes in the wrong places or dimples with cracks.

I really like building, but due to my age, think that a quickbuild may be the way to go. (I'm just about finished with the -14 emp).

Can anybody be more specific with regard to quality issues?
It appears to me that several QB wings have tanks that leak. You are supposed to check the tanks, but it seems that leaking tanks still prevail. As a buyer, I've always thought that a plane with QB wings guaranteed quality construction. Now I'm not so sure that there is a definite advantage to have the work done in the P.I.

~Marc
Old 11-02-2017, 09:09 AM

I expected a pristine and perfect fuse and wings .. what I got was a good quality fuse and wings with some minor cosmetic issues ..

My expectations were too high, however, like others suggested, the fuse and wings are built better than I could have and it saved me a year.

Buy with confidence! (and use Partain Trading Company + Stewart Transport shipping option and not a carrier service)