- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-31-2017, 09:35 PM

Default Closer together

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJarreau View Post
I'm not exactly the most mechanical person in my family.

Ok, so I just re-read Dan's post. Does "one additional turn" mean putting the dies closer together?

Thanks!
Yes - closer together. So this means that when you try to close the handle afterwards, the dies will touch before you get the handle all the way down. Moving the handle the rest of the way closed will actually bend the upper arm up a bit (well within the elastic limit of the steel of course ). This helps apply even greater force to the dimple which keeps it from dishing.
First Flight July 26th, 2014
268 hours and counting . . . .
Now based at Moontown (3M5)

Last edited by Dan Langhout : 10-31-2017 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Langhout View Post
Yes - closer together. So this means that when you try to close the handle afterwards, the dies will touch before you get the handle all the way down. Moving the handle the rest of the way closed will actually bend the upper arm up a bit (well within the elastic limit of the steel of course ). This helps apply even greater force to the dimple which keeps it from dishing.
Made some crucial adjustments and all was successful. Though, the handle itself shouldn't be bending, but the overcenter hinging will flex, with quite a bit more authority than I had it set up before. Talked to Van's and they looked over the pics I had set up, they were okay with continuing to build. Also, I ended up ordering the springback dies from Cleveland. Feeling a bit chagrined...I pored over these boards, watched building videos and somehow never happened upon the specialty dies or what the dimples should look like. Cautionary tale, for certain...