VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-28-2017, 12:59 PM

I wish I had mounted mine remotely as I would not have a hole to plug in my new panel.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:50 PM

Ron - a thought or two for your consideration...

I have a CO Guardian unit that is now 12 years old and still going strong, but of course that's because we're not flying yet.

When I spoke to the folks at C0 Guardian I was actually speaking with the owner's daughter. Whe provided me with tons of very useful information. One item which came as a bit of a wake up call was the stipulation that VOCs drastically reduce the life of the sensor. When I advised I was still building the airplane while my CO detector was aging out, I was told to remove it from the panel / airplane if I was going to be using any chemicals, especially solvents and paints.

I followed her advice and our unit is still functional. I also ensure it is powered off to the greatest extent possible (it's wired to come on with the master). It would be nice to think I might get a year of flying out of it before having to replace it (same deal as you - can't service the old unit, must buy a new one).
Old 10-28-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingJack View Post
Mine has to be replaced...I have 7 years on it and it has worked perfectly!

But, I share a simliar frustration about price and product.

My CoGuardian model I purchaed 7 years ago is no longer avialable and they can NOT recalibrate it. Not sure why...they build it, why can’t they just replace the guts???

Now, I wouldn’t object to replacing it with new, but my unit is bigger then the new ones they offer so I would have to rebuild my side panel to make the smaller one fit.
because the "guts" are no longer available. the sensor technology is changing so fast on this type of part, that they be come obsolete very quickly. Figaro sensors just release a new CO sensor that is a giant leap forward. 10 year life, no water bath, 1/10 the size of previous sensors.

bob burns
RV-4
N82RB
Old 10-29-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_JOY View Post
Ron - a thought or two for your consideration...

I have a CO Guardian unit that is now 12 years old and still going strong, but of course that's because we're not flying yet.

When I spoke to the folks at C0 Guardian I was actually speaking with the owner's daughter. Whe provided me with tons of very useful information. One item which came as a bit of a wake up call was the stipulation that VOCs drastically reduce the life of the sensor. When I advised I was still building the airplane while my CO detector was aging out, I was told to remove it from the panel / airplane if I was going to be using any chemicals, especially solvents and paints.

I followed her advice and our unit is still functional. I also ensure it is powered off to the greatest extent possible (it's wired to come on with the master). It would be nice to think I might get a year of flying out of it before having to replace it (same deal as you - can't service the old unit, must buy a new one).
I placed my order for mine on Feb. 12, 2016 and flew in Aug. of that year. All my painting was carried out in another building. I'm willing to bet that your boxed unit would need to be sent back for calibration according to the manufacturer before they would suggest using it if it's 12 years old.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:34 AM

I've performed a live CO test on the unit and it alarms reliably... so far! I would love to have a 10 or more year sensor as I agree with other posters - the per-flight-hour cost of this sensor, with its short life, is very high.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n82rb View Post
because the "guts" are no longer available. the sensor technology is changing so fast on this type of part, that they be come obsolete very quickly. Figaro sensors just release a new CO sensor that is a giant leap forward. 10 year life, no water bath, 1/10 the size of previous sensors.

bob burns
RV-4
N82RB
Great find Bob. I checked and the most applicable unit I can find on their website is the CMM5042. It has a 0-2V output and some simple pinouts we can connect to so I am thinking that we should be able to feed this into the Garmin GEA 24 or similar, then flag specified alarm levels. Only problem is I haven't found yet where to source the CMM5042. Anyone know where to purchase one of these?
Regards,
Tom.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:15 PM

I wrote an E-mail to sales as to my situation and how I felt about my unit and the sales department agreed to replace the unit at no cost. As per forum rules, I never revealed the manufacturer with my post, therefore I feel I should not reveal them during my praise. They know who they are, Thanks.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:54 PM

Bob, or anyone else,
Do you know where to source the CMM5042 sensor? I have contacted Figaro directly, however they appear to be uninterested in selling a single sensor, and Internet searches yield nothing. I'd sure love to be able to track one down.
Tom.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:34 PM

I got a 10year unit from Home Depot which has a display that shows ppm. It is part of my scan. I currently am seeing 30 ppm which I am trying to track down. If I had an alarm only, I wouldn’t know about it.
Flying, but not done, never done.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:14 AM

Hi Rick. My plan B if I can't find one of these particular sensors is to just take an off the shelf sensor like you suggest, solder a connector to it's alarm and feed it into my G3X system discrete inputs. I just wanted to be able to trigger an audible alarm in my intercom without having to drop $300USD on something that doesn't make my aircraft go any faster!
Tom.