VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-23-2017, 03:27 AM

Default Battery

My esteemed colleagues...... What battery do the majority of you put in as a replacement to an aging one in a 6A? O320 160 hp.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:49 AM
hall monitor

The Odyssey PC680 has been the go-to battery for many years.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:17 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Sam is right - the PC680 is the default standard these days. I have found, however, that in our -6 (kit #4), the battery box between teh rudder pedals fits the lawn tractor battery perfectly, but the Odyssey is a half inch too tall. So we keep using those lawn tractor batteries (they least about 6 years, so its not a big deal....).

So....check your battery box dimension before you buy!
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 10-23-2017, 08:25 AM
hall monitor

A local pilot with an old RV-6 had to remove the angles which serve as hold-downs in his battery box for the PC680. That isn't a problem because the box can be filled with spacers to keep the PC680 from moving around.

I used lawn tractor batteries in a kit car for several years with good service.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:53 AM

The PC680 has become the defacto standard for a lot of us. But if you're willing to look a little deeper, there are other useful options. I've had one similar to this:
https://www.apexbattery.com/ub1220-1...AaAtXyEALw_wcB

in my 160 HP -4 for about 4 years now, and I've used the 18AH versions for the previous couple of decades. Four to six year life, and the batteries tend to sit for weeks at a time because I don't fly much.

One potential advantage to the 22 AH size batteries like the link is that if you have an electrically dependent a/c, it has significantly more total energy than a PC680, which is a 16 AH battery (meaning longer duration with normal electrical loads in the event of an alternator failure).

If you're one of those who needs the brand-name for confidence, go with the PC680, but if you're value-oriented enough to do more research, these 'no-name' batteries are worth a look. They have the same AGM technology as the PC680. The primary difference is that they are optimized primarily for continuous load, instead of starting. But they still have more than adequate 'CCA' numbers for cranking our engines.

The 22 AH models have an almost identical footprint as a PC680, but they are slightly taller. Do your homework before purchasing; neither is a physical drop-in replacement for the old wet cell lawn tractor or a/c batteries we used to use.

Charlie
Old 10-23-2017, 09:46 AM

Deka Sports Power ETX-30L was a great Concorde RG25XC replacement, just took some MDF shim shapes. The 20L might work great and save some weight if you don't want extra amp hours.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:23 AM

Smile battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
Sam is right - the PC680 is the default standard these days. I have found, however, that in our -6 (kit #4), the battery box between teh rudder pedals fits the lawn tractor battery perfectly, but the Odyssey is a half inch too tall. So we keep using those lawn tractor batteries (they least about 6 years, so its not a big deal....).

So....check your battery box dimension before you buy!
Paul, the existing 5 year old battery is a lawn mower battery. So why pay 6 times the price just for a name. Just ordered another one. Thanks amigo.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:51 AM
hall monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbygirl1 View Post
Paul, the existing 5 year old battery is a lawn mower battery. So why pay 6 times the price just for a name. Just ordered another one. Thanks amigo.
There is a little more difference between a PC680 and a lawn mower battery than just the name and price.

The current versions of the RV-6, the RV-7, have the battery mounted on the engine side of the firewall. The lawn mower battery just ain't gonna work in that installation. The PC680 can also be mounted in any orientation except upside down and you don't have to be concerned with it venting. The PC680 in my 1999 RV-6 is on the firewall and mounted on its "end". It is also several pounds lighter and several inches smaller than the Concord battery most older RV-6's first flew with.

Having the original, cabin-mounted battery box gives you some choices the newer installations don't allow.

Last edited by Sam Buchanan : 10-24-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:53 AM

Default Freshest PC680 purchase

I finally have reached the stage where it's time to buy my battery.
Where's the best place to get the freshest PC680? I would hate to buy one that's been on the shelf for a year. Or in the case of the PC680 does it really matter?
Took a tour of a battery factory years ago and remembered the tech say that a batteries life ( lead acid anyway) starts the moment the plates are installed and to try to find the freshest battery you can find when buying one.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbygirl1 View Post
As Sam pointed out, there are significant differences. The reason you can mount an AGM battery (see my earlier post; you don't have to pay PC680 prices to get AGM tech) in any position is that there's no free liquid acid in the battery (Absorbed Glass Mat), unlike a flooded cell lawn tractor battery. Therefore, no risk of spills, and minimal risk even of venting hydrogen, as long as the battery isn't abused.

With the no-name AGMs being so reasonably priced now, there's little reason (at least for me) to buy another flooded cell lawn tractor battery.

Charlie