Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-18-2017, 03:45 PM

Default tank removal

Hello fellow RV-12 flyers;
I am faced with removing my RV-12 fuel tank, as I have developed a leak. It appears to be from proseal on the underside of the tank, but until I get up on a bench, and clean it up, I wont be able to pinpoint the source of the leak. One disadvantage I have is, I did not build my airplane. I looked through the KAI and don't see a specific procedure for removing & reinstalling a tank on a completed airplane. I thought I read on an earlier post where the filler neck needs to come out, but I have loosened the rubber sleeve and moved it up the filler neck. It would appear that when I remove the three bolts supporting the tank, the tank will slide/move toward the center of the fuselage, and then I will be able to bring it forward.
How do you get the tank up and around the cross bar behind the seats?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks in advance

the bitterness of poor quality
lingers long after the cheap
price is forgotten.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:02 PM

Starting at page 13-04 of the RV-12 Maintenance Manual

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 10-18-2017, 04:02 PM

You may find that the fuel return line sticks up from the tank into the filler tube and interferes with the sideways movement of the tank -- that is why the filler tube has to be removed. Believe it or not, with a bit of wrangling the tank will fit between the rollover bar and the cross brace.
EAA #23982 - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 560+ hours (as of Oct 2017)!
VAF donation through June 2018.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:04 PM

Default What I do - -

Drain tank. Use crows foot wrenches to loosen and remove both lines on bottom after removing both rear inspection plates. Take screws from filler neck out. Twist as needed to remove filler neck. Remove fuel sender wire. Remove 3 bolts that hold tank in. CAUTION if you have the frangible bolts on front, do not over tighten them when reinstalling. Use the balloon method to pressurize the tank and spray soapy mixture on areas to find leak. If not too bad, you can clean, sand, and put new tank sealant on outside in most cases. I had a leak on mine very recently after 8 years. It happens.
Flying RV-12 - Serial #120036
Paid in May ( 5-10-17 )
Old 10-18-2017, 06:11 PM

Where else can you get service like here at VAF.
Thanks for the help.

price is forgotten.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:52 PM

Before you remove the tank you may want to double check the fittings below the tank. I found them to be problematic.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:21 PM

John nailed it, unfortunately I am also doing this on a friends airplane. Take the fuel vent line off the bottom of the tank first and when you reinstall put it on last, it will be much easier to remove the fuel line if you do this. The back panel will prevent you from moving sideways and you must also lift the front of the tank high enough to allow the fittings to clear, you need to remove the filler neck and then you can get the tank high enough to move sideways.
Eagles Nest Mentor
Old 10-19-2017, 12:59 AM

Default fuel tank

After pumping as much fuel out as possible prop the front of the plane up so the remaining fuel flows to the rear of the tank so when you undo the fuel tank fittings the remaining fuel wont run down your arm!
Old 10-19-2017, 07:39 AM

Pat;
You mention removing the "vent line from bottom of tank first". The only vent I have is the fuel cap, and the only lines to the tank are the return line, and the fuel outlet to the pump, both on the bottom of the tank. Am I missing something ?.
I am going to install the newer design tank vent that I believe has vent line out the top of the tank and runs aft through the bulkhead.

price is forgotten.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey rv12 View Post
Pat;
You mention removing the "vent line from bottom of tank first". The only vent I have is the fuel cap, and the only lines to the tank are the return line, and the fuel outlet to the pump, both on the bottom of the tank. Am I missing something ?.
I am going to install the newer design tank vent that I believe has vent line out the top of the tank and runs aft through the bulkhead.
You've got it right. Just as an aside... When I did SB for my tank I elected to not install the new tank vent and instead to keep the vented cap. My reasoning is that I run 93E10 fuel and don't want a lot of air exchange in the tank which introduces moisture and reduces fuel octane. Best to keep tank sealed accept of small vent hole in the cap. 300TT and no problems with fuel flow.
PPL - 1970
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC 7/12 Bought Flying 10/2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 315