- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2017, 10:06 PM

Default Pilot's Operating Handbook

I recently purchased an RV-12 and a Pilot's Operating Handbook came with it. I also found the same document on the Vans web site. The problem is it's 8.5" x 11" which is a little cumbersome in the cockpit. Mine was on copy paper in a three ring binder. Are these available in something like a 8" high x 5" wide card stock paper with a spiral binder on the top or left side for ease of use for the pre flight as well as in the air?
Old 10-17-2017, 01:44 AM

I put the Van's supplied POH against the left wall of the cabin beneath the armrest. Velcro holds it in position. I didn't like the slide-in tray under the right instrument panel. I also mounted my fuse holder beneath the left outside air vent.

PPL - 1970
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC 7/12 Bought Flying 10/2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 315
Old 10-17-2017, 06:59 AM

I keep my hardcopy POH out of the way behind the passenger seat and an electronic version, which is what I use, on the tablet I use in the cockpit and on my smartphone.
RV-12 N121TK ELSA #120845
First flight 06/10/2015
Old 10-17-2017, 11:20 AM

Itís been a while since I updated mine, but I seem to recall a print option for two pages per sheet that shrinks it to the smaller notebook size.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:54 AM

I load all the manuals into ForeFlight which allows you to organize documents into folders and pulling them up is easy to do (in fact I keep all five the Rotax manuals, Vans/RV-12 MM & POH manuals, insurance, FAA documents, Garmin radio, Dynon ...) all in one place. Having access to everything even when on a trip somewhere is really convenient.

As for the POH itself, bring the current file available on the Vans website down to Staples on a thumbdrive and ask them to print it out in a booklet size / small binder. Inexpensive. Obviously worth keeping that one on paper in the cockpit although the iPad is so reliable that I haven't cracked mine open in some time.
RV-12, N913BC
Hobbs over 390 hours and on second set of main tires!
http://www.mykitlog.com/brent45

Check out & subscribe to my Youtube channel for latest RV-12 flying videos...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxQ...Px2I7jmazGdLqg
Old 10-17-2017, 03:34 PM

To be legal does one maintain the POH that came with the aircraft, or have in reach, the most current? There are differences for example the Vg in older kits was in the 80th kt range, current is 60 something. What changed to cause that wide spread or is my interpolation off... Same question WRT ROTAX Operators/MMs.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:43 PM

As I recall AROW (formerly ARROW) says operating limits. As long as you have your ELSA operating limits letter onboard that should make you legal even without the POH, but of course the POH should be onboard. I used to have an experimental Yak-52. I never carried anything but my FAA OL and Program Letter.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHound View Post
There are differences for example the Vg in older kits was in the 80th kt range, current is 60 something.
Vg?

The PDF I have prints on 8.5 x 11 paper, but has each page boxed for trimming to approx. 5.5 x 8.5 or so. One of these days I'll get around to trimming them and putting them in the small binder in the plane, some of the laser printing on the old copy is coming off.
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
-=VAF=- 2017 dues paid
Old 10-18-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHound View Post
To be legal does one maintain the POH that came with the aircraft, or have in reach, the most current? There are differences for example the Vg in older kits was in the 80th kt range, current is 60 something. What changed to cause that wide spread or is my interpolation off... Same question WRT ROTAX Operators/MMs.
A current POH on board is a requirement for S-LSA RV-12's.
For E-LSA RV-12's it is required that the kit manufacturer supply it to the builder (since the kit is based off of the certified S-LSA) but there is no requirement that it be in the aircraft for flight (though it is not a bad idea).

I assume you mean Vbg (best glide?) I believe it was an erroneously published # (that is why documents have revision #'s/levels).

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 10-18-2017, 09:19 PM

Thanks for the clarification.