Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2017, 06:54 PM

I had very much the same condition, I.e. various parameters going high and low in somewhat random fashion. Talked to Dynon at some length. They said it is a strange failure of a pressure transducer. They thought it was the oil px....it turned out to be fuel px transducer.
Good luck
Old 10-30-2017, 05:51 PM

UPDATE

Reply from Dynon Tech Support indicated that oil pressure sensor was intermittently shorting the EMSís 12v supply to ground. They advised me to do a short flight with oil pressure sensor disconnected.
This resulted in all indications normal apart from the obvious lack of oil pressure.

I reconnected the sensor to see if perhaps the connection would be better and did a short flight. Oil pressure fluctauted from start up ghrough taxi and run up all other indications were normal. Briefly the oil pressure returned to normal until take off roll and inflight. Fuel flow was normal.

I downloaded another diagnostic and sent it to Dynon Tech for evaluation.
My main question now is the oil pressure sensor in need of replacement or is there a short from the oil pressure sensor alone?

On a side note, my airplane is an SLSA RV-12 and Iíve seen that there is an option to install a remote oil pressure sensor? Is this an option for an SLSA having been approved by Vans or do I have to simply replace the oil pressure sensor in original location (if this turns out to be the reccomendation)?
Old 10-31-2017, 07:15 AM

Default oil px tranducer

Sounds like you've isolated the problem to the oil transducer. Based on my experience, I also think that's the problem. I would replace and mount at the bulkhead. Don't forget to bleed the line to remove the air bubbles.
Good Luck
MikeB
Old 10-31-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
UPDATE

Reply from Dynon Tech Support indicated that oil pressure sensor was intermittently shorting the EMS’s 12v supply to ground. They advised me to do a short flight with oil pressure sensor disconnected.
This resulted in all indications normal apart from the obvious lack of oil pressure.

I reconnected the sensor to see if perhaps the connection would be better and did a short flight. Oil pressure fluctauted from start up ghrough taxi and run up all other indications were normal. Briefly the oil pressure returned to normal until take off roll and inflight. Fuel flow was normal.

I downloaded another diagnostic and sent it to Dynon Tech for evaluation.
My main question now is the oil pressure sensor in need of replacement or is there a short from the oil pressure sensor alone?

On a side note, my airplane is an SLSA RV-12 and I’ve seen that there is an option to install a remote oil pressure sensor? Is this an option for an SLSA having been approved by Vans or do I have to simply replace the oil pressure sensor in original location (if this turns out to be the reccomendation)?
The kit has not been evaluated by Vans for approval on SLSA Aircraft.

It is flying on a lot of ELSA rv-12 aircraft as well as a myriad of other Rotax installations.

In addition we have been able to adapt around the rotax service bulletin that has Rotax owners drill and re tap their engine for new metric style transfucers. If you would like to install the kit, I would recommend calling Vans and letting them know and see what they say.

The remote oil pressure relocation seems to greatly help with erratic indications that are introduced by vibration associated with direct mounting to the engine.

Here is a link to the page showing our remote install kit.

http://aircraftspecialty.com/rv-12.html

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to us.

Steve

Please email us at aircraftspecialty@gmail.com with any questions.

Your Source for Custom CNC parts, CNC cut instrument panels and labeling, Teflon fuel/oil hoses, Headsets, and many other items for Experimental Aircraft.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:28 PM

Thanks for the help guys.

Waiting for results of last diagnostic from Dynon.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:51 PM

UPDATE

Dynon reviewed my last diagnostic file and determined the oil pressure sensor is the culprit. Intermittently grounding the EMS 12v wire.

I’ll call Vans but I’m pretty sure because I have an SLSA I’ll have to just replace with new sensor in same spot.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:01 AM

UPDATE Part Deux

My Rotax. Echanic looked at my plane today and had a new oil pressure sensor which would have required more rewriting to install. He found that they did stock the one on the engine (Keller?) and was about to order one ($250) when he spent a few minutes cleaning the connection and reconnecting. We think the clip may have been slipping, enough to allow the connection to be loose enough to send erroneous readings to EMS.

I did a test flight and oil pressure and fuel flow were normal, as it was on the 30 minute flight home. It would be good if Vans could approve relocating the oil pressure sensor to the firewall for a SLSA.

On a side note the SkyView screen went blank and rebooted on taxi out first flight of day, and did same on short final on last flight home.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:23 AM

Lockwood part GAOPSNDHK ($130) is a direct replacement for the Honeywell unit. No requiring for 5V required. I tried reterminating my Honeywell and thought the fluctuation was Fixed, after a couple of flights the issue returned. This Lockwood part solved the problem, and it has a plug connection for easier replacement if required.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:40 AM

Thanks for that. We did have one part from Lockwood that was about that price.
My mechanic guy knows the folks at Lockwood well.
I think the Kellar was a one for one replacement and the other required some desiring.
So far we havenít replaced unit so fingers crossed.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
UPDATE Part Deux

My Rotax. Echanic looked at my plane today and had a new oil pressure sensor which would have required more rewriting to install. He found that they did stock the one on the engine (Keller?) and was about to order one ($250) when he spent a few minutes cleaning the connection and reconnecting. We think the clip may have been slipping, enough to allow the connection to be loose enough to send erroneous readings to EMS.

I did a test flight and oil pressure and fuel flow were normal, as it was on the 30 minute flight home. It would be good if Vans could approve relocating the oil pressure sensor to the firewall for a SLSA.

On a side note the SkyView screen went blank and rebooted on taxi out first flight of day, and did same on short final on last flight home.
If enough people call vans and ask them to approve the sender relocation, maybe they will come up with a relocation kit. On firewall forward packages for all of our rotax kits, we always relocate the sender to the firewall as it is a much better place for it and also greatly reduces the issues with vibration induced problems. Also, if you happen to have an older style engine with an npt sender, and need a newer style metric transducer, you donít have to drill and re tap your engine port per the rotax service bulletin if you remotely mount your sender. Unfortunately, this is not available on SLSA aircraft due to a lack of approval from the manufacturer.

Please email us at aircraftspecialty@gmail.com with any questions.

Your Source for Custom CNC parts, CNC cut instrument panels and labeling, Teflon fuel/oil hoses, Headsets, and many other items for Experimental Aircraft.