- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2017, 07:12 PM

Default Oil pressure went to zero, fuel pressure maxed out

Today cruising at 5500ft oil pressure suddenly started fluctuating on the low side before going to zero with red X. Along with continuous audible warning “Oil Pressure”.
Very shortly after this my fuel flow went to the upper green limit then into caution along with “Fuel Flow” audible warning.

The engine itself performed normally, no vibration, ran smoothly, no obvious oil leaks. Nothing else abnormal.

On descent to the field at above idle the oil pressure indication returned to normal as did fuel pressure. Landing and taxi uneventful and post flight inspection showed no oil loss or anything else abnormal.

Ran it by my Rotax trained and qualified mechanic and his suggestion was to contact Dynon Tech Support which I will do tomorrow as it sounded to him like it was a Dynon issue.

Thought I’d post the experience here to ask for suggestions and/or comments.
Thanks in advance e.

Last edited by Top Cat : 10-16-2017 at 05:04 PM. Reason: I should have written fuel FLOW not fuel pressure
Old 10-15-2017, 08:53 PM

A big red X usually means you have an electrical circuit problem. If you did in fact lose OP then the reading would likely go to @ 0 psi (+ 2-3 PSI) without a red X. Check all of your OP and FP wiring. Could be a sender but more likely a poor wiring connection.
EAA #23982 - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 560+ hours (as of Oct 2017)!
VAF donation through June 2018.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:03 PM

Thanks for the info.

Coincidentally I’d just uploaded the latest Dynon software update.

I did wonder about a poor connection but then why would readings be normal at lower power and why does fuel flow increase whilst oil pressure goes down with the same increase in power? How could they be related?

I see by your address that you’re near Santa Rosa? I hope all is well with you and your family with all the tragic fires.

Last edited by Top Cat : 10-15-2017 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:20 PM

Thanks Top Cat for the kind thought -- we are fine but a number of our RV family here in SR have lost theirs homes, cars, household contents, etc. The fires have been horrific.

Electrons are funny things -- all sorts of strange instrument indications can be seen if the wiring is not 100% up to snuff. In my experience, the RV-12's FP can be erratic for "yet-to-be-fully-understood" reasons -- never seems to interfere with the engine's operation however.
EAA #23982 - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 560+ hours (as of Oct 2017)!
VAF donation through June 2018.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:24 PM

I would check your grounds really well.
Wings complete.
Fuselage in progress
Old 10-16-2017, 07:18 AM

Howard--the fuel pressure indicated high? Does sound like a instrumentation issue to me. I wonder if yo would mind sharing your 'normal' pressure indications with us.
Tom
RV7 Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com
Old 10-16-2017, 09:21 AM

Normally oil pressure is around 60 psi and fuel flow about 5.2.

When the oil pressure started fluctuating it dropped to almost zero went up and down until resting on zero flowed by the red X and continuous audible “oil pressure” warning.

The fuel flow to top of green then to the upper caution range followed by “fuel flow” warning.

Reducing throttle brought everything back to normal and that’s the part I don’t get, especially if it’s a bad connection.

Appreciate the help!

Last edited by Top Cat : 10-16-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
Very shortly after this my fuel pressure went to the upper green limit then into caution along with ďFuel PressureĒ audible warning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
The fuel flow to top of green then to the upper caution range followed by ďfuel flowĒ warning.

Reducing throttle brought everything back to normal and thatís the part I donít get, especially if itís a bad connection.
Was it high fuel pressure, or fuel flow?

An intermittent connection usually means something is influencing the connection to make and break. That influence often times is vibration. Vibration changes with engine RPM.

Because you have more than one indication changing at the same time, something that is common to both should be looked at (system grounds).

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 10-16-2017, 09:57 AM

Steve,
My average fuel pressure with engine off and electric pump on is 2.6 psi.
At cruise with both pumps on, the average pressure is 4.3
Keep in mind that the senders are notorious inaccurate. The actual value displayed is meaningless without being verified with a calibrated gauge. It is up to the pilot to learn what is normal in her plane, then take notice if the pressure deviates from normal.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:32 AM

Scott,

Sorry yes I meant fuel FLOW went high to the max limit. Ill correct my post.
Now I can't recall if the audible was fuel flow...either way there was a warning audible concurrent with the incessant" oil pressure" warning.