- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2017, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

As has been mentioned already, but want I want to emphasize: the key to the RV-12 is SPEED CONTROL. Unlike in some other airplanes where excess speed and altitude can be aggressively corrected by cross-controlling (slips), it is not so in the 12. If you are at 65 on base leg, you are too fast. 60 or less on final makes for a really comfortable approach that looks right and feels right, if you practice. Otherwise, with any bit of headwind it will feel too slow. Plus, at those speeds it will slip very nicely on final if needed.
Enjoy the time coming down final. It's very relaxing.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
EAA Homebuilt Council Chair/member EAA BOD
Van's East Coast Representative
www.Baselegaviation.com
Old 10-16-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
Flame suit not needed.
The lesser performance in a slip has little to do with design or that anything about the design is inferior.
Right - I don't think either of us meant to imply anything inferior, just the observation that slip effectiveness of the -12 is on the low end of the spectrum when considering all types out there. And I agree about airspeed control, which is a common issue among pilots in general. I rarely see anyone at the flight school slip those Cessnas on approach, but when I do, they look like they're over 70KTS, which defeats the purpose by a large margin.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:34 PM

Loading the airplane with a steep bank to final has helped me shed speed when Iím high and fast. Like the others say getting the airspeed down before worrying about losing altitude seems to be the best approach. (Play on words not intended,)
Old 10-16-2017, 01:52 PM

Default What makes for a decent descent?

My very limited stick time in a -12 is sufficient to confirm that it is indeed a wee bit reluctant to slow down. So that causes me to wonder about pattern technique in the part of the world I'm in, where being alone in the pattern is almost unknown.

When getting checked out in a Champ long ago, my instructor was adamant about holding 80 (mph) or better on downwind (better is better) so as not to, as he put it, "be backing into other airplanes." On that point he was right. Seems like there's always the standard issue Bonanza or Centurion sneaking up from behind.

So what's the mellowest routine in the -12 for coaxing it from 80 (kts) to 60 (or less) while descending through base and final, with it being inherently disinclined to do that?
Emp/TC done; Wings done; Fuse kit done

"History teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives." --Abba Eban
Paid up until Aug 2018
Old 10-16-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSchaller View Post
Loading the airplane with a steep bank to final
PPL - 1970
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC 7/12 Bought Flying 10/2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 315
Old 10-16-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XOverZero View Post
So what's the mellowest routine in the -12 for coaxing it from 80 (kts) to 60 (or less) while descending through base and final, with it being inherently disinclined to do that?
Abeam the numbers I pull the throttle to idle, one notch of flaps, pitch for 70 knots. Turn base, second notch of flaps, pitch for 65. Turn final, pitch for 60 and slow to 55ish coming over the fence. If I have to add throttle at any point I figure I did something wrong, but it happens about half the time. I'm still working on it - and if people have better ideas I'm all ears.
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
-=VAF=- 2017 dues paid

Last edited by DaleB : 10-16-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
Abeam the numbers I pull the throttle to idle, one notch of flaps, pitch for 70 knots. Turn base, second notch of flaps, pitch for 65. Turn final, pitch for 60 and slow to 55ish coming over the fence. If I have to add throttle at any point I figure I did something wrong, but it happens about half the time. I'm still working on it - and if people have better ideas I'm all ears.
350 hrs on my -12 now and I'm still working the technique but that's pretty much what I shoot for although I hold off the 2nd notch of flaps until I'm on final.

One other thing that I found dramatically affected the power off deceleration and sink rate was the idle RPM that I set on the ground. I initially started at about 1800 and had a heck of a time getting it down. I reduced the idle RPM to about 1600 and the power off deceleration and sink rate were both significantly increased and that improved my landings considerably.
RV-12 N121TK ELSA #120845
First flight 06/10/2015
Old 10-16-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkk View Post
One other thing that I found dramatically affected the power off deceleration and sink rate was the idle RPM that I set on the ground. I initially started at about 1800 and had a heck of a time getting it down. I reduced the idle RPM to about 1600 and the power off deceleration and sink rate were both significantly increased and that improved my landings considerably.
Ditto. I have mine set for about 1600 on the ground also. Once I mistakenly set it for 1800, and thought I'd never get the thing on the ground. Felt like my name was Charlie, and they'd just raised the fare by a nickel.
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
-=VAF=- 2017 dues paid
Old 10-16-2017, 02:56 PM

Talking

What's behind you does not matter. Plan you airspeed and altitude for your target 5-10 miles out since it does not like to slow down quickly. Use 800' pattern above runway and not 1000'. About 75 at numbers on down wind, pull all power, full flaps, 65 to base, 60 turning final, stabilize then at 55 knots on final unless you want to float and use lots of runway. I use a close pattern and dead stick all the way 95% of the time. If too high slip aggressively but try to keep it around 60, if short due to greater head wind add a little power to flatten descent and let speed increase slightly until you've made the runway.
RV-12 #120515, 319RV 200 hours.
1st flight 12/08/15, flew SNF, Oshkosh, Triple Tree & SERFI in year 1!
RV-9A, 536 hours, sold
Old 10-16-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSchaller View Post
Loading the airplane with a steep bank to final has helped me shed speed when Iím high and fast. Like the others say getting the airspeed down before worrying about losing altitude seems to be the best approach. (Play on words not intended,)
Yup...180 steep turn to final sheds both speed and altitude..
Tho RVN)
Distinguished Flying Cross Society Member
CH-47 & UH-1H "Driver"
Rotax 9 Series Service IRMT

RV-12 Kit#729 "N312RD" is now a full functioning fun machine!! Thanks Van for fulfilling my dream😎
2017 Dues Paid