VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-13-2017, 09:12 AM

Default Canopy fit

I’m fitting the canopy and just wonder how much those ahead of me have had to trim off the aft edge? Looks like I need to take off a quarter of an inch all the way across. Ugh. Is that pretty “normal”? Thanks.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:54 AM

Don that sounds about right depending on how forward your canopy was placed and the amount of gap you want between the canopy and rear window plastic. I didn't "cut" mine but used as belt sander and just went slowly a little at a time. I did find that my canopy "grew" slightly from when I first trimmed it in Feb vs August and I had to trim a tiny bit more from it to retain the desired gap at the back. I had another 14 builder over yesterday and he is where you are and said he needed to trim about 3/8" or so from his canopy.

Leesburg, VA
RV-14A kit # 140243
VAF 2017 and 2018 paid
www.mykitlog.com/chrismoon/
Old 10-13-2017, 09:58 AM

Don, yeah, we had to do about the same amount.

RV-14A in progress
Empennage complete(-ish)
QB wings and Fuse in progress
Old 10-15-2017, 06:33 PM

Default Thanks, guys

Appreciate the feedback. Moving the canopy forward quickly messes up the fit there due to the tapered canopy frame. I really dreaded trimming, but with my belt sander it was a non-event. Finished with a scraper blade. Perfect.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don E View Post
Appreciate the feedback. Moving the canopy forward quickly messes up the fit there due to the tapered canopy frame. I really dreaded trimming, but with my belt sander it was a non-event. Finished with a scraper blade. Perfect.
What size belt sander did you use. Most of them seem to be big to easily be handled for trimming canopy.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:00 PM

Default belt sander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafa View Post
What size belt sander did you use. Most of them seem to be big to easily be handled for trimming canopy.
I have a small on, Porter Cable 371. It's kind of heavy, but only maybe a 2 1/2 x 14" belt. I used 80, and then 120; finished with a long block of wood with 220 and then scraped it shiny... whole process took maybe a half hour.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:25 PM

I just trimmed mine tonight, 1/8". Hated to do it for that small amount but if I pushed the canopy any more forward it started to bend. I used a Dremel with a diamond wheel. Very smooth cut but will finish off with sand paper and perhaps scraper.
RV14A #83
Wings, empennage and fuselage completed
Finish kit in progress
IO-390 Thunderbolt ordered