- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2017, 08:09 AM

John

Did you route the antenna coax to the tail cone through the central tunnel?

Where did you mount your GPS hockey puck antenna?

I'm asking so many questions because I, and probably other early 12's, will install ECHO UAT.

Thanks for your time...

Jim
P/ASEL 1970 Sport Pilot since '04
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
LSRM-A Certificate 2016
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC 7/12 Bought Flying 10/15 with 48TT - Hobbs now 317
Old 10-26-2017, 08:47 AM
hall monitor

I haven't installed a uAvionix device, but the GPS antenna for the Stratus ESG in my RV-6 is mounted under the cowl.

It performs flawlessly.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:49 AM

Default Jim and others - -

I run the coax under the arm rest, behind the gas tank, into tail section. The GPS receiver I mounted on same original plate as XM receiver would have been mounted, beside Garmin receiver. This install is SIMPLE compared to the Navworx. Hook power lead to both units. Hook ground to both units. Connect ONE wire from provide harness to other box. I had a plan in mind, so I was ready to go. It took about 2 - 3 hours until elec bay cover was back in place. Took a few minutes to do setup. Then fly and test it. My wiring is crude looking because I left all the excess wire in a coil on top of the boxes. Next time in I can remove all the unneeded wires if I want. I left old wiring in place also, just being careful not to have bare wires in contact with anything.
Flying RV-12 - Serial #120036
Paid in May ( 5-10-17 )
Old 10-26-2017, 03:06 PM

Default echoUAT / GRT SafeFly Install

Today was a first flight with my newly overhauled engine and the echoUAT / GRT SafeFly GPS combo. ADS-B traffic display on the GRT EFIS was great. Below is a link to the firewall mounting of the echo/GPS package and under cowl GPS antennas:

https://imgur.com/hWqhUNM

https://imgur.com/a/aE2bK
Dues contributor since 2007

Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself...Anonymous

Last edited by TomVal : 10-26-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:36 PM

Default 1st flight wiht an ECHO shows no Pressure altitude.

Flew first flight today with a new ECHO UAT. ( that replaces a 600EXP). the report shows and I also noted on the set up APP MONITOR that there was no pressure altitude being reported from the UAT out. The GPS altitude was within range. Using a GTX 327 and don't remember anything about any hard wire hook to altitude signal and didn't see any set up for that . I believe it depends on the ECHO to " sniff" the altitude from the XPDR signal. I do have com 1 set up and hard wired RS232 for the XPDR control and set to PANEL ( and have the 327 set to REMOTE)

Reconfigured the ECHO while in flight and within the UAT set up "control set to XPNDR MONITOR the pressure altitude appears.

Can I not use RS232 for Xponder control on COM 1 and " sniff" out the altitude or does one just set up for XPNDR MONITOR for all of that ?

The other major difference I saw was that the ECHO only had one tower connected where as the NWx always had at least 4 or 5. ??

Comments appreciated.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:18 PM

Default Advanced Flight Systems

I️ have two AFS 4500 and Garmin 430W and 330 transponder. Will the UAT interface with the AFS 4500 and display traffic and weather(ADS-B in)?
First flight 10/03/2011
2017 dues paid
Old 11-14-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPILOT View Post
Forgot you asked about where output Antenna is mounted. From the Navworx install, I have it under side near first rib of tail. About 5' from original TXP Antenna. They provided a new one, but I just used my old one.
What coax cable did you use and what was its length? I'm in process of a panel upgrade/UAT install in my 6A and they stress to keep the coax as short as possible. If you go over approximately 2.5 meters, you need a different coax other than RG 400.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisRhodes View Post
Flew first flight today with a new ECHO UAT. ( that replaces a 600EXP). the report shows and I also noted on the set up APP MONITOR that there was no pressure altitude being reported from the UAT out. The GPS altitude was within range. Using a GTX 327 and don't remember anything about any hard wire hook to altitude signal and didn't see any set up for that . I believe it depends on the ECHO to " sniff" the altitude from the XPDR signal. I do have com 1 set up and hard wired RS232 for the XPDR control and set to PANEL ( and have the 327 set to REMOTE)

Reconfigured the ECHO while in flight and within the UAT set up "control set to XPNDR MONITOR the pressure altitude appears.

Can I not use RS232 for Xponder control on COM 1 and " sniff" out the altitude or does one just set up for XPNDR MONITOR for all of that ?

The other major difference I saw was that the ECHO only had one tower connected where as the NWx always had at least 4 or 5. ??

Comments appreciated.
Dennis,

Contact uAvionix support via call or email. They are very responsive.

Regards,
Dues contributor since 2007

Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself...Anonymous
Old 11-15-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKURRLE View Post
I️ have two AFS 4500 and Garmin 430W and 330 transponder. Will the UAT interface with the AFS 4500 and display traffic and weather(ADS-B in)?
Yes.

There are two versions. The less expensive version requires you to use your 430W as a GPS source. The other option is that there is also an option to bundle a GPS with the echoUAT. I wouldn't recommend the GRT GPS that is what the OP started this thread. The decision point would be is the cost difference worth not having to wire the 430.

You also have the option of hardwiring your transponder, which I would recommend. It will be more reliable than the echoUAT picking up data from the transponder transmissions.

It's also verified by AFS. There are threads on their support site as well.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleffler View Post
Yes.

There are two versions. The less expensive version requires you to use your 430W as a GPS source. The other option is that there is also an option to bundle a GPS with the echoUAT. I wouldn't recommend the GRT GPS that is what the OP started this thread. The decision point would be is the cost difference worth not having to wire the 430.

You also have the option of hardwiring your transponder, which I would recommend. It will be more reliable than the echoUAT picking up data from the transponder transmissions.

It's also verified by AFS. There are threads on their support site as well.
+1 on hard wiring the transponder. Sooner or later you’ll find yourself flying below radar coverage, and if nothing ‘pings’ the transponder, a sniffer will have nothing to sniff.
I recently faced the same choice, buy an approved gps or tap into an existing 430W (plus pay $100 to get the software with ADSB+ output). I chose the latter (tap into 430W) but understand that it’s not for everyone. I spent what seemed an eternity but really maybe an hour (?) on my back, under the panel, wishing I had three hands, to tap into the 430. BTW, you’ll need a ‘high density’ pin for the 430W connection.
Note to current builders: I wish I had had all the RS232 pins installed, with short wires, with my original harness. Would have saved considerable work now.