Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2017, 05:55 PM

Well ****, that is disappointing. I thought I had a good selection of products all figured out that would satisfy all my objectives. Back to the drawing board I guess.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:10 PM

DaleB,
Thanks for your comments. At one time I had the same problem with the autopilot that you describe. But updating the D-180 software fixed it. After that the D-180 worked fine with the GPS496.
Now with the 496 replaced by the iFly 740, the GPS serial data is sent to the D-180 for the first several minutes of a flight. Then it just stops for the remainder of the short flight. I can tell because the wind arrow disappears and the magenta on the HSI screen disappears too. When I download and analyze the Dynon data log after the flight, the GPS-derived date changes to zeros at the same point where the wind arrow and magenta disappeared. No bad wire connections were found.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
Well ****, that is disappointing. I thought I had a good selection of products all figured out that would satisfy all my objectives. Back to the drawing board I guess.
+1
Companies are free to do what they want; it's their proper goal to maximize profits. But this is one reason I favor companies like GRT and WingX, which tend to be open sourced, and generally strive to interface with everyone (except, of course, those who keep their software as a propriatary secret).

Last edited by BobTurner : 10-10-2017 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetguy View Post
Yes that's what he's saying. For ADSB-in you will need to add a GDL39 at some point. They show up periodically in the classifieds. There is one there now. Garmin products are proprietary and don't play well with other non Garmin stuff.
I found this out when I converted my 12 from D-180/Garmin 496 to SkyView/Dynon GPS. The Garmin SL40 communicated with the 496 and would grab frequencies automatically from the 496 data base. When you were in the vicinity of an airport the frequencies would be available by punching the SL40 RCL button and you could scroll thru them in the standby window with the right hand knobs. Real handy. Now with SV, the Garmin GTX200 will not share the Dynon GPS data base so I have lost that feature with my upgrade. Not complaining really, the GTX200 is a nice radio with excellent intercom and other features. Just saying...if you want to maintain full functionality of the SL40 radio you need a hardwired Garmin GPS.
RV-12 #202 -- Flying

Last edited by Tony_T : 10-13-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Shane, you wouldn't happen to be the same Shane that was VP for iFly (Adventure Pilot) where the service was outstanding?
Yes Jim... guilty, that would be me. I moved over to uAvonix back in January.

Last edited by Shane@uAvionix : 10-10-2017 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Added quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
John,

Iíd take a good look at the iFly 740 for the Portable GPS. Then the EchoUAT will feed weather and traffic to it and an iOS or Android app. EchoUAT is ForeFlight compatible and works with others like WingX, iFlyGPS, FlyQ, Avare, FltPlan Go, and many more. Maybe even just put an iPad Mini in an air gizmo dock.

Donít get me wrong, Garmin makes good products but you have to know they have a closed development strategy so youíll be tied to their pricey ecosystem. We have an open development strategy for echoUAT to work with most all apps and EFIS.

One option is to get our new SkyBeacon (Wingtip LED Nav light with ADS-B) for ADS-Out. Then get the Aera 660 and a used GDL 39. This would just not allow other app use outside of Garminís app.

We need to determine how set you are on staying with a Garmin portable GPS. If you are comfortable with it, stay with it. The last thing I was is for you to be uncomfortable with your Nav tools in flight. If you are open to other GPS or iPads, etc... then you can likely achieve the same and save some cost. Just trying to help if I can.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:25 AM

+1. A very rational post. No wonder Jim gave you a "thumbs up".
Old 10-11-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane@uAvionix View Post
. . . "Garmin makes good products but you have to know they have a closed development strategy so youíll be tied to their pricey ecosystem. We have an open development strategy for echoUAT to work with most all apps and EFIS." . . .
If that's the case, then why doesn't echoUAT feed Dynon Skyview displays with weather and traffic?
Old 10-11-2017, 12:41 PM

Shane,

I'm considering an install of the EchoUAT and the SkyFYX-Ext in my 7A, and I am currently using DroidEFB with a Dual XGPS 170. Is the EchoUAT compatible with the DroidEFB app?

Thanks!
Old 10-11-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftdown View Post
If that's the case, then why doesn't echoUAT feed Dynon Skyview displays with weather and traffic?
In that case, itís the display device only accepting encrypted data or their proprietary data. We would simply need them to provide us the encryption layer to be displayed on Dynon Skyview, or they could use the GDL90 standard. We use the standard GDL90 available to anyone, most EFIS and most apps. Itís my understanding that weíve offered to be allowed to integrate with the Dynon and Garmin, for weather and traffic display, but again those are closed ADS-B systems.