Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2017, 05:35 PM

I just emailed you. If I can help let me know. Feel free to call me.
RV Hotel (hangar, room, car) at X35 in north FL

Commercial ASEL/S A&P/IA EAA Technical Counselor

Dynamic Prop Balancing, Prebuy Inspections, Condition Inspections, Repairs and Mods, Injector Tuning, Airframe, Engine, Panel Upgrades, Ferrying, etc.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:21 PM

There is an outfit in in Glendale AZ that does flight training in a SLSA RV12.
If that is something that might work for you message me and I'll give you the details (they are on Vans site).

I don't have any experience with them so this is informational only.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:26 PM

Excellent idea, I had never even thought of them, thanks. Same problem though, none of them probably have ever even flown a 12! I will check.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying again! View Post
Try the IPs at Harlingen that are associated with marine Military Academy. They taught my son to fly while he was there and are close being in Harlingen.

Contact them at

mgarib@redbirdflight.com

TJ
Retired US Army Officer
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....X&project=1903
Old 10-04-2017, 06:35 PM

I had given up at one point, but not now. To answer several posts (Thanks guys, I really appreciated them all) a Sport Pilot cannot take a flight review in anything other than a Light Sport, and other than mine none are available. The FAA says that for each year away, you need one hour of dual. That does not envision 2 hours every three months or so. That makes for a long visit even to someplace that has good weather and available instructor and plane.. I flew for years with no insurance at all, but will not do that again. Even liability requires a pilot in command, cannot be me until I get a review, and cannot be a CFI that has never set foot in a 12.
You are correct, it is my location that is a BIG part of the problem. I dreamed up a solution and have a CFI that will go along with it, we will see if it can happen!
Retired US Army Officer
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....X&project=1903
Old 10-04-2017, 06:50 PM

Don, if I understand correctly, you are not a sport pilot; you are a private pilot exercising sport privileges. As such you may do a flight review in a 172, etc. No medical needed since the cfi will have to be PIC (since your Flight Review has expired). May not be ideal, but is a possibility.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:39 PM

Concur with everyone here Don . . . don't give up on it.
Unless your heart just isn't into it anymore, you have too much invested, just to let it go. And I'm not talking about money, I talking about your yearning and love of flying, to get back in the saddle.

Once you finally get there, it will be especially rewarding for you and you will not regret it.

Hang in there partner!
Old 10-04-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
Don, if I understand correctly, you are not a sport pilot; you are a private pilot exercising sport privileges. As such you may do a flight review in a 172, etc. No medical needed since the cfi will have to be PIC (since your Flight Review has expired). May not be ideal, but is a possibility.
^^^^^^^ Yeah, that. That exactly, I was there two years ago. No time in an RV-12, no flight review, no medical. Got the two that mattered knocked out in one cross country trip.
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
-=VAF=- 2017 dues paid
Old 10-04-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonFromTX View Post
The FAA says that for each year away, you need one hour of dual.
Is that really true? So if someone has been away for 50 years they need 50 hours of dual? They would be better off starting over if that is the case.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:30 PM

Don:

I came back to flying after a 20 year break, in 2015. I got one hour of dual in a 172 then bought an RV-12 SLSA and got 5 hours dual which was all the insurance company required. The instructor did have LSA time in a Rans, but none in the RV-12: the insurance company only required him to get one hour in the -12. At the time I was flying under the sport pilot privileges in terms of medical.

I used Falcon Insurance - maybe you can call them and find a company that has more reasonable requirements. (At the time I stopped flying in 1995 I had PPL, Instrument Rating so not sure if prior ratings played a part in the insurance company requirements).
Old 10-04-2017, 08:38 PM

Don,

It can be done. Good luck, I think you will find a way to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Tim