- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2017, 01:49 PM

Default Van's Yaw Servo Mount

A few questions regarding Van's kit for installing the yaw servo.

1. Sterling at Van's said it was meant for the RV-14 but could be "adapted" for the -10. Has anybody been through that process, can you tell me exactly what that entails?

2. I'm about to assemble the tailcone. Would it be wise to install this now? It looks like one of the mounting points is shared with the bellcrank support ribs. So if I did it later, those rivets would have to come out. Not a huge deal but would much rather get it all taken care of now.

3. If you are flying the Dynon yaw servo, do you still see a need for yaw trim? I've asked a lot of folks this question, and have gotten a lot of conflicting answers.
RV-10 #1750
N67SC reserved
http://n67sc.blogspot.com/
2016 Dues Paid

Last edited by unitink72 : 10-02-2017 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

Default Yaw servo

Yes it is much easier to do it now rather than crawl back in there later to do it. No, you will not need trim. You might still need a trim piece on the rudder, as he yaw servo only trims the ball to center when it is engaged.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
EAA Homebuilt Council Chair/member EAA BOD
Van's East Coast Representative
www.Baselegaviation.com
Old 10-02-2017, 05:56 PM

Josh,
I installed in my flying RV10, not a hard job just uncomfortable. I would install the bracket during the build since everything is open.

You'll still need to crawl into the luggage area at some point to install the servo, wiring and bridle cables.

Gary
Old 10-20-2017, 12:51 PM

Can anybody confirm that the 14 yaw servo kit bracket in the 14 G3X Yaw Servo Install Kit works fine in the -10? Was any modification needed?

If modification is/was needed, how extensive?

Thanks,
Rob Kelly
Old 10-20-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raabs View Post
If modification is/was needed, how extensive?
Holes that are meant to clear an existing AN470 rivet need to be enlarged slightly to clear the rivet, which is about 1/8" out of center on the -10 compared to the hole position in the -14 bracket. In addition, a flange needed to be trimmed slightly to clear a plastic bushing. A few minutes with a file, and you're done.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:02 PM

Default -10 Yaw Bracket, Garmin -10 VS Vans -14 Bracket

Here is a look at the Garmin RV-10 Yaw Bracket vs the Vans RV-14 Yaw Bracket. Apples to apples cost comparison comes out to $750 for the Garmin -10 kit, approx $300 for the Vans -14 kit ($160 Vans yaw -14 kit + Garmin 115-01854-11 GSA 28 Attachment arm/bow) . I wanted to understand the differences and see if the -14 kit could be used in the -10 to save about $450 which I could spend on avionics goodies.

Garmin bracket is on left, already rivited, Vans on right with blue covering not riveted out of the box.

The rectangular bracket part with the channel cut out is an exact match on holes and geometry with the exception of the ears at the bottom (garmin ears are rounded) Vans are squared off. This is showing the brackets held back to back.

The other part is an exact match for the holes but the Vans -14 bracket is approx 1/2" shorter - meaning that if the Vans -14 bracket was used in the -10, the servo would sit approx 1/2 lower than if the Garmin -10 bracket was used. I'm guessing the -14 bracket mounting fins could be elongated or the mounting fins could just be attached 1/2" higher...

For those that have used the Vans -14 yaw bracket in a -10, did you simply mount the fins approx 1/2" higher?

Last edited by raabs : 11-06-2017 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:50 AM

Rob,

Did the garmin bracket come with the bow for keeping the cables out of the servo?

Lynn
Old 11-07-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnb View Post
Rob,

Did the garmin bracket come with the bow for keeping the cables out of the servo?

Lynn
Yes, the Garmin yaw damper install package from Garmin includes everything needed, including the bow and the cables that attach to the rudder cables.

I bought the Garmin installation package last year before becoming aware that Van's offers one. It is a nice package, but very expensive for what you get.

RV-10 Finishing Kit in-progress
2017 VAF Dues Paid
Old 11-07-2017, 09:17 AM

I installed it the Dynon Bracket in my 10. Everything was fine except the distance span of the aft two mounting holes on the bracket was about 3/16 inch narrower than the corresponding holes where the bracket needs to attach. Elongating one hole made it fit. With way more 10’s flying than 14’s I was quite curious as to why Van’s produced this the way they did and why they were so coy about a “slight modification” being necessary rather than making a bracket for each respective model (best) or at least defining the “modification” (better) rather than just letting the builder figure it out. The tailcone is no comfortable place for field engineering.
All in all it wasn’t a big deal and having the yaw damper is a nice upgrade.
RV-10 BPE, Dynon, Airflow systems A/C
First flight May 10, 2014
Old 11-07-2017, 03:35 PM

Hi Lynn - The Garmin -10 kit contains the bracket, bow and servo arm and necessary hardware. $750.

The Vans -14 yaw bracket doesn't contain the bow and arm,you have to purchase separately from Garmin . Between the Vans -14 kit $160, and Garmin bow and arm kit, ~$100, you have a complete kit as above. Quite a difference in price. Differences in bracket noted in the pictures.