VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-04-2017, 07:11 AM

Default Flaps -3 degree reflex

I finished my transition training in the factory 14A. (N214VA). There is a -3 degree setting on the flaps. I don't recall this setting in the rigging instructions. I have to assume that a digital angle gauge is the best way to achieve this setting. Has anyone else rigged their flaps this way? This setting is used in normal cruise. Did I miss something somewhere? I think I heard of a couple others making this adjustment.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:42 AM

Assuming the 14's flaps are the same or similar to the 10's, full up is the -3 deg reflex setting.
WAR EAGLE!
Old 05-04-2017, 09:16 AM

When an RV-14 (and RV-10) is built and rigged per plans, the ailerons and flaps (when fully retracted) are in a neg. 3 degree reflex position.

To obtain a zero setting you just lower the flaps 3 degrees from the fully retracted position and then label that as the zero setting.

We use that position for no flap take-offs and climb mode, and only fully retract the flaps to neg. 3 for level cruise flight on the RV-14 and RV-10.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 05-04-2017, 11:33 AM

Steve,

When you get home, I can show you how things are rigged on my RV-10.

So when does it get out of the paint shop?

bob
Old 11-14-2017, 11:40 AM

Hello,

What's the effect of the Reflex position on stall speed and/or landing distance?

I'm wondering how you backup the flap actuator in case of failure while in Reflex mode.

Thanks.

Patrick
Paris, France
www.marcel-jurca.com

Not building a RV, nobody's perfect

2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 & 2017 dues... gladly paid!
Old 11-14-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurcaSperocco View Post
Hello,

What's the effect of the Reflex position on stall speed and/or landing distance?

I'm wondering how you backup the flap actuator in case of failure while in Reflex mode.

Thanks.
I can't give you detailed specifics but I have made landings in an RV-10 and RV-14 with flaps in reflex and the influence is no more than occurs with all of the other RV's with the flaps fully retracted, so no special procedure/workaround is required.

With no flaps deployed the stall angle of attack is higher. Because of that you wont like rotate to anywhere near stall angle of attack during the flair and with the higher stall speed of not using any flaps, the landing will be longer but not so much that it should be an issue (RV's only require a small portion of the runway that is available at most airports).

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")