- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2016, 02:17 PM

Default SB done, in a flying one.

An SB is always an important thing and we have a big fortune that Van's give us this service.

My 8 is flying from 2010, serial 82317 (January 2007), is the one of the last QB not PP from mothership.

During the construction I put the central 8 bolts as per manual and lost the 4 external one - the worst. These are probably in my Open Item list (mind) never written [you forget, planes don't]

Was time for acting. Not so happy to drill big holes into my upper flange, I applied my strategy.

1) make the spar hole control column passage accessible. So remove front floor completely, aileron push-pull tube bolts, spring from aileron trim, front and aft sticks.

2) In my ground adjustable rudder pedals is necessary to remove the four bolts that hold the rudder pedals to the floor (so I was able to slip the control column under them to remove it).

3) The missed bolts will go from aft to fwd (easier option).

4) I put the borescope into the hole that I had to reach with the bolt.

5) With a lot of DIY momentary tools and looking into the borescope monitor I centered all four bolts (no its not easy but doable, I had 32 to 36 F° into the hangar)

6) Applying the same DIY activity I was able to reach the bolts head with a wrench. Now using the torque wrench into the nuts was a piece of cake.

I had the opportunity to check a lot of hidden places, clean everything with deep inspection activity and I took the option to trash the brake reservoir line for two brand new Fluid Reservoir small tanks that are waiting to be installed.

Total time spent : 15 hours.

"Anything... you would have done differently if you... had to do it again? Yes. I would've done it in July" - Jeff Skiles from "Sully".
http://www.rv8.it

=VAF= 2017

Last edited by lucaperazzolli : 12-22-2016 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:43 PM

Default big holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucaperazzolli View Post
...Was time for acting. Not so happy to drill big holes into my upper flange, I applied my strategy. ...
Ciao Luca! Thanks for the writeup. I've been traveling since the SB came out so I have not been able to look at my QB to see if it applies.

So, it seems that you did not need to drill the big holes to apply the SB? If so, that's going to be a big relief to a lot of -8 owners!
Old 12-22-2016, 02:49 PM

Hi Mike ! No bottom/top 1" holes in my plane. Hope this helps.

It's not a big deal.

Ciao

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv8ch View Post
Ciao Luca! Thanks for the writeup. I've been traveling since the SB came out so I have not been able to look at my QB to see if it applies.

So, it seems that you did not need to drill the big holes to apply the SB? If so, that's going to be a big relief to a lot of -8 owners!
http://www.rv8.it

=VAF= 2017
Old 12-22-2016, 02:49 PM

Default Does Not Apply To -8A

Called Vans yesterday afternoon to ask if SB applied to -8A. They said it did not.

I checked anyway - bolts were installed.
Old 12-24-2016, 01:36 AM

Default data point

My RV-8QB 82007 from 2003 had all the bolts in - no action needed.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:50 AM

Default SB Complete

I saw the Service Bulletin Tuesday evening and emailed it to my partner. Next morning Mitch said "I'll bet money those bolts are not in there". A quick inspection revealed 12 missing bolts in the center section. The fuselage QB kit was delivered in August of 2014. The aircraft is nearly complete, the wings have been on since January. I had just installed floor pans, carpet and seats the day before in preparation for W&B - bummer.
I removed the seats, some carpet and the seat ramp to gain access to the spar center section.
Removed aileron tubes from the control column.
Fuel line adel clamps forward of the spar were removed.
10 of the 12 bolts, nuts and washers were installed using magnets, mechanical fingers, mirrors, modified hemostats, Garmin camera and a borescope.
The two upper-outboard bolts proved so difficult we elected to drill the two upper holes described in the SB. A 7/8" diameter hole was sufficient. Measure carefully if you elect to drill! The hole should fall centered between the two thick spar bars.
Bought 3' of 3/4" clear tubing and taped to the vacuum hose to clean the metal chips out of the center section.
If the control column is removed I think the job would be a bit easier.
I estimate the job took about 12 hours.
2017 dues Paid
A new pilot having fun!
Old 12-26-2016, 12:09 PM

Default For Vans data collectors..

I ordered my QB on 14 Jan 2008 and it was delivered the following May. All bolt are there.
Steen Skybolt: Sold
Old 12-26-2016, 02:31 PM

I should have my -8QB Fuse delivered from the mothership sometime in the next week or two..

Can I assume this would have been rectified at Vans before delivery???
Old 12-26-2016, 02:33 PM

Default Mine were missing

I can see how this omission might occur. My RV-8 QB fuselage was delivered in early 2007 and the bolts were missing. I noted the empty holes and subsequently installed the required bolts during early fuselage work. I recently went through my drawings and the manual locating the critical info on bottom of my page 8-2 and referencing drawings 30 & 30A. My drawings did not include DWG 64 and the manual page noted in the SB covered another topic.
Flying

Last edited by Skyflyer : 12-26-2016 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 04:00 PM

Default Quick Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmunzell View Post
I should have my -8QB Fuse delivered from the mothership sometime in the next week or two..

Can I assume this would have been rectified at Vans before delivery???
On my 2003 QB fuselage, the quick build fuselage checklist included installation of these fasteners as one of the items that needed to be performed by the builder. Realistically, even though you have a quick build kit, you are the manufacturer of record so it is your responsibility to verify ALL plans and instruction items are installed and completed properly. It is a little alarming to me that these kinds of things are consistently being overlooked by builders. Also, don't assume that factory installed fasteners are fully torqued.

I'm aware of at least one builder that failed to install the cockpit side rail rivets that attach the front seat back weldment and doublers. He discovered the omission after the canopy tracks were installed and knowingly left them out because he didn't want to take the time to remove the rails and properly install the rivets

Skylor