What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy rear stop

traynhr

Well, it's now happened twice. Despite my perfect guidance to the rear pax, they let go of the canopy and the locking handle struck the rear seat bulkhead/skin hard enough to make a little ding. I carefully smoothed out the ding and I'm picking up the touch up paint tomorrow. Has anyone come up with a rubber bumper or some other way to ensure this doesn't happen again?

Thanks for any advice!

I started with a short section of 1/4" auto fuel line that I cut to length (about 2 inches) and put in the slider tracks. That way the roller hits that just before the handle contacts the rear wall. After loosing my sections of hose a few times :) I got a bit of rubber block from another builder. It's very dense solid rubber (like a rubber mallet would be made from) and cut just the right size to slide into the track. serves the same purpose, but now is captured by the square shape of the track and has worked great ever since.

I made a stop out of a scrap piece of 1/2" thick nylon. I cut it into a rectangle that fit into the canopy track at the aft end. A little RTV to keep in there and it provides a perfect stop to the canopy from sliding too far aft.

Carl

Rubber block

Here is what Andy is referring to. I drilled relief holes. Seemed to make a better cushion.

Ditto:

Me too, some fuel hose cut to fit inside roller track on both sides works just fine. Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

Good choices all

Traynhr

I use the rubber hose for mine (courtesy Jay Pratt) and it has worked fine for 11 years. Until you mentioned it, I had forgotten it was even there.

I also use the Mike Zeller latch. Mike sold me one at my first RV-8 Oshkosh 11 years ago and its foolproof. Glad to see you can now get them @flyboyaccessories.com.

The McMaster Carr latch is also popular and I have several friends that use it and like it.

Lots of good choices for you.

Chris

Back