VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-25-2015, 03:22 PM

Default An Unforeseen Journey

That's been my life the past few years. The tightest twists in the road might lie behind me for now, but the loss of our home to fire this May was a bit of a lurching turn. It's been emotionally hard to live all summer near the gaping hole in the hilltop where our house stood the last 18 years, and irksome to reach for tools that are no longer there to do the myriad odd jobs on the farm, including airplane maintenance. Lots of possessions will have to be replaced, slowly, methodically, waiting on the claims to settle and the checks to come in.

Today, all that begins to change visibly. The precast basement was erected this morning, and it's so gratifying to see the place where our next RV will be built rising up from the clay. Beauty for ashes. Joy for mourning. Check it out!

Old 08-25-2015, 03:28 PM

They always say, "build on a good foundation". You've always had a solid foundation. Now you have concrete too
Old 08-25-2015, 03:30 PM

Good to see the rising from the ashes Stormy.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:38 PM

My parents dealt with it twice in 5 years. Lightning and a grease fire on the stove.

Material things matter not.
PlanePower Alt, FlightLines Interior, James cowl & plenum
All lines by TSFlightLines
NSDQ

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army

- - 2016/17 donation compliant - -
Old 08-25-2015, 08:55 PM

Default So... time to read the archives again!

I've read literally every post ( ! ) in the RV-10 archives within the last year, but life events have forced a temporary shift in research efforts. At this juncture, workshop planning must trump RV dreaming for awhile. Honestly, it's a blast and I'm having fun even with the modular home contractor urging me to get things nailed down in the next few days and weeks.

Faced with the first-world problem of far too many attractive choices (apologies to Warsaw-Pact comrades), the first part of my five-year plan is to agonize aloud here over lighting, wiring, perimeter insulation, plumbing, tool chests, benches, electric and air layout, 20-SEER HVAC splits, concrete floor finishes and compressor selection, to Harbor Freight or not to Harbor Freight, etc, etc, ad-nauseam. With a little help from my VAF friends, of course!

I've already made paper-doll cutouts, to scale, of the RV-10 and RV-14 in order to quantify which support piers in the basement had to be replaced with laminated beams to give me space to attach wings and apply paint within the 40x40 shop space. It's only money, right? My bride and step-kids are starting to grasp airplane builder's disease after watching me play with paper planes on top of Nationwide foundation blueprints. The upsized footers for the remaining beefier columns have already been dug and poured; the monetary commitment to the airplane factory has begun in earnest. There can be no turning back. This may turn into my own version of "flying saves time and money"

-Stormy
Old 08-25-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Boyd View Post
.......This may turn into my own version of "flying saves time and money"

-Stormy
We all love a good story, looking forward to each chapter.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:57 PM

Default New build

Build it strong and straight and EXACTLY how you want it to be. Don't allow anyone (wife, architect, friends) dissuade you from getting exactly what you want in your garage/workshop. As far as the $$$, you may spend a little or a lot more than you want to but you can smile every day when you walk through your garage/workshop. I'll never forget the discussion that I had with my architect/engineer who wanted me to use wood beams and 4 vertical supports in my 2-1/2 car garage. He didn't get it that I wanted a place to build an RV. I'm only sorry that I didn't make it bigger.

Also, you have some experience with the kind of tools that you need - buy the good ones and don't go cheap.

Build on and enjoy - best of luck an skill to you.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:23 AM

Engineered lumber - wood I-beams and microlams - and steel are the creative architect's friend. My farmhouse is a testament to clear span and open space :-)

You can definitely get the layout you want!
Old 08-26-2015, 05:49 AM

Great to see you rebuilding. The view from that hill just begs to have a home on top. Here's a video my last pass over the old house!
RV-8, "Miss Izzy", 2100+ RV Hours
Track Me
VAF 2017 Donor
"He who demands everything that his aircraft can give him is a pilot; he that demands one iota more is a fool."
Old 08-26-2015, 08:38 AM

Default If you're bored and looking for retirement income...

...I might commission you to build me one of those stupendous tool carts you have, Smokey.

Otherwise, I will get on it myself as soon as time allows.