- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-9/9A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiLvrs View Post
Of course the other option is to cancel advisories squawk 1200 and maintain the 500 fpm decent.

Without traffic would make me a little nervous.
Love our 330/696.
This thread and the concept of "ATC control" while in VFR flight following has me curious? Is this becoming routine? I would had thought that just learning of traffic then descending at your discretion would have been perfectly legal, and knowing traffic, safe.

What am I missing here?

I have been reading Stick & Rudder lately and it discusses this near stall descent as a proper procedure under needed circumstances. Great discussion!

W&B done
Doing paperwork.
Beginning G3X calibrations.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:42 AM

You can see from the L/D chart, that you need to slow to near stall to really see your Total Drag increase over time/distance. I wonder if Bill's method produces more rate of descent than a slow, full slip. Give's me a reason to go fly! I suspect that it does.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Of course the other option is to cancel advisories squawk 1200 and maintain the 500 fpm decent.

Without traffic would make me a little nervous.
Love our 330/696.
I also love getting TIS traffic displays on my panel mounted 696. Cancelling flight following wasn't a real option, as ATC was guiding me through Class-C airspace for Ontario. If I cancel with ATC, I would have needed to be on with Ontario Tower for the transition through Charlie.

My flying is done out of a Class Delta airport, surrounded by a Ontario and Class Charlie. Yes, I am on Flight Following on 98% of all my flights in SoCal. Lots of airspace and other planes to deal with. I am often given altitude holds both going up and coming down, as well as vectors to avoid incoming jets landing at Ontario. It's just part of flying in a big city.
First Flight: April 2013
Hobbs: 400 hours after Oshkosh 2017
www.myrv9.com
Old 08-19-2014, 01:43 PM

I believe if I had a -9, I'd have to seriously consider speed brakes. Seems like a fun tool for the tool bag.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:24 PM

Do a search for "speed Brakes" and see what comes up on this forum.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
PA-20-inspired "family truckster" -in work
Old 08-19-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobuilder View Post
Do a search for "speed Brakes" and see what comes up on this forum.
Yea, I can imagine. Everything from, "a good pilot would never need them", to "use speed brakes on an RV and you will DIE!".
Old 08-19-2014, 06:19 PM

Yep, pretty much
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
PA-20-inspired "family truckster" -in work
Old 08-20-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
This thread and the concept of "ATC control" while in VFR flight following has me curious? Is this becoming routine? I would had thought that just learning of traffic then descending at your discretion would have been perfectly legal, and knowing traffic, safe.

What am I missing here?
Once you are assigned an altitude and/or heading ... that's what you have to follow up until told to resume own navigation.

When directed to maintain 4000 one could always say unable and see where that goes.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmccoy View Post
Cancelling flight following wasn't a real option, as ATC was guiding me through Class-C airspace for Ontario. If I cancel with ATC, I would have needed to be on with Ontario Tower for the transition through Charlie.
or avoid the C ... But in your case than may be a little more difficult.

If we don't go over the Bravo we avoid Burbank to the west and fly the special transition.

About 1/3 of the time we can get a clearance just past LAX to decend through the Bravo onto Oceanside.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomVal View Post
My 2 cents:

In general, I would not recommend using a slip or near stall profile for a prolonged descent. Both maneuvers present limitations in visibility and in the event of a traffic conflict you are not in a very maneuverable state.

Also, depending on which tank you are feeding from, a prolonged slip may uncover a fuel pickup.

At any rate, turn on your boost pump during your idle descent before entering any of these maneuvers.

Also shock cooling is a possibility during these maneuvers.

My preference would be to execute a 360 or S-turns as necessary to lose altitude.
Good point on the unporting of the fuel pickup. It's my SOP to select the opposite fuel tank as the pattern direction in anticipation of the slip.

We '9 drivers are such complainers. My airplane flies to fast and glides too well!...waaaah
RV-9A complete
Harmon Rocket complete
S-21 in the oven

Last edited by vlittle : 08-21-2014 at 07:59 PM.