Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-9/9A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2014, 11:15 AM

I fly a 9a and an HR-II. This is quite a difference in flight characteristics, for sure.

The 9A slips fine, but most folks don't put full rudder in during the slip. With full rudder, the elevator lightens up a whole lot, so you need practice.

This is preferable to a stall-buffet descent because of the increased visibility and the ability to keep it slipping right down until flare.

The other technique is the overhead break. Fly initial, perform the break at idle power and 60 degree bank to downwind, dial in the slip and keep it in until short final. Unfortunately, this manoeuvre is not advisable at most airports.

Also, don't fly at best glide speed in the circuit.... you want to be faster or slower than this at idle power in order to bleed energy. Otherwise the only advice I can give is to build a Rocket.
RV-9A complete
Harmon Rocket complete
S-21 in the oven
Old 08-18-2014, 11:21 AM

I routinely put my 9 into an aggressive slip to lose altitude (full rudder deflection is really necessary) and it works well right down to crossing the threshold if necessary. Doesn't sink like the shorter wing RVs but is definitely a useful way to lose altitude.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Arehart View Post
I routinely put my 9 into an aggressive slip to lose altitude (full rudder deflection is really necessary) and it works well right down to crossing the threshold if necessary. Doesn't sink like the shorter wing RVs but is definitely a useful way to lose altitude.
Agree completely.
(Dues paid thru Nov '18)
Old 08-18-2014, 12:31 PM

I do slip the 9A often, I have just never tried to loose 4,000' of altitude in a slip before. Most of my slips are to correct a few hundred feet on final. Looks like something else to go out and try in the practice area.

This is really cool. I have an excuse to go fly. Love it.
First Flight: April 2013
Hobbs: 400 hours after Oshkosh 2017
www.myrv9.com
Old 08-18-2014, 12:54 PM

I have really enjoyed learning the flight characteristics of the RV-9. I find it is all about speed. From the slip, approach and landing, speed is the most important thing. Some of my approaches have been fast and I just could not seem to get it down. Pull the stick back to 70-80 kts and the thing sinks. Same with a slip. It seems natural to slip @ 90-100 kts but it keeps flying. Pull it back to 80 kts and it sinks nicely. Full rudder of coarse. The 9 wing is so long it is still out there in clean air during a mild slip.
Catto three blade prop
http://www.mykitlog.com/MarkW
Old 08-18-2014, 12:55 PM

I've only been flying my -9A for about 5 hours now and I don't find it difficult to slow down or get down at all. Certainly not as I was anticipating from reading posts here. Sure it glides better than other Vans series, especially those outfitted with constant speed props, but its really no different than a Skyhawk or Warrior. (just a bit smoother, easier, better control harmony, oh and a heck of a lot faster.)

Tried a slip at altitude yesterday, after reading this thread, was surprised how hard you have to step on the rudder. I guess im just used to it swinging so freely in the garage all this time pretending.
RV-9A #92103 - N803DK
G3X, Superior XO-320, Dual Pmags, Whirlwind GA
www.mykitlog.com/dbro172/

RV-8 #83565 - N184DK - building
1968 Mooney M20C - Sold
1956 C-182 - Sold

Last edited by Dbro172 : 08-18-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlittle View Post
....This is preferable to a stall-buffet descent because of the increased visibility and the ability to keep it slipping right down until flare...
Though I've ridden the -9A down thousands of feet with full aft stick, the airplane shaking like a wet dog the whole way, I'm not suggesting going quite that far as a matter of course. It would be uncomfortable for any passengers, just like a prolonged slip is uncomfortable for passengers. However, if you can tease the airplane right to the edge of the stall, it remains glass smooth, yet still comes down like an express elevator.

Visability over the nose is somewhat limited however, so your point is quite valid there.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
PA-20-inspired "family truckster" -in work
Old 08-18-2014, 02:43 PM

So, full slip in a 9 at 80 kt, what kind of decent rate do you guys get?

Tim
Old 08-18-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjo View Post
So, full slip in a 9 at 80 kt, what kind of decent rate do you guys get?

Tim
80KIAS is too fast. You'll get about 6-700fpm or so. Slow to 65KIAS with full flaps and you will see about 900. By comparison in a 172 you can easily bury the needle at over 1500.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:17 PM

Of course the other option is to cancel advisories squawk 1200 and maintain the 500 fpm decent.

Without traffic would make me a little nervous.
Love our 330/696.