- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-9/9A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2014, 11:36 AM

Default RV-9A - Slow Down, or Drop Altitude, Not both

I had an interesting flight this week. Flew one of my normal routes between Chino, CA and Big Bear Lake, CA. On the way home I was direct to Chino on flight following to go through the maze of Southern California airspace. After take off from Big Bear, it's normally a 22 minute flight with a nice 300 to 400 ft per minute decent the entire way. This particular flight seemed to have lots of traffic call outs from ATC. I was on an altitude hold at 6,500, then another at 4,500. As I was getting closer to Chino the altitude hold was not being released. I saw a couple of planes pass about 1,000ft below my path. When I was 7 miles out, I was still at 4,500 on hold. Time to slow way down. I know I can slow down the RV-9A pretty quickly, but I can't slow it down and loose a bunch of altitude at the same time. This is not a surprise to anyone, but I had to be thinking about it if I wanted to nail the upcoming landing. When ATC released me for my final VFR decent into Chino, I was 5 miles out and had already slowed to 75-80 knots with flaps out. The issues was I now had to drop almost 4,000ft in the last five miles on final. No problem since I had slowed down first. Pulled the rest of the power and floated down with full flaps at 65-70 knots. Put her down just at the end of the runway, after having one of my slowest final approaches on record. If your flying a one of the short wing RV's with a constant speed prop, you might read this and wonder what's up. I did my transition training in a 7A and was amazed at how fast we could drop altitude with the power out. With my fixed pitch prop and larger wing, the 9A flies great. I really love it. Sometimes you just have to keep your head in the game and make sure you are doing the appropriate planning as ATC modifies you normal approach.
First Flight: April 2013
Hobbs: 400 hours after Oshkosh 2017
www.myrv9.com

Last edited by pmccoy : 08-16-2014 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:22 PM

Pete, you could have stalled and ridden the stall down to your desired altitude. Give that some practice and see how it works for you. It is a nice trick to have in your back pocket.

BTW, I was doing my approaches today at 55 kts with full flaps.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 08-16-2014, 06:52 PM

Default slip?

What about slipping the RV-9a?
Old 08-16-2014, 08:23 PM

My 9A doesn't sink much in a slip. But, I am probably used to a full flap C182 slip that is aggressive and effective. The 9 just sinks a bit more... than without the cross control. Or, is it just me...?
Old 08-16-2014, 09:38 PM

I've slipped my 9A a bit. It does work but is nowhere like my old Aeronca Sedan was but I didn't expect it to be.

One thing that I did from before my first flight was to set the idle pretty low. Yea, getting down can take a little planning but it's not as difficult as I expected. I'd have to say that overall, I really don't have many issues getting down or slowing down. I even was asked to perform a short approach at my home airport which I complied with. I went full flaps on downwind and slipped it all the way around. It was kind of fun.

Pink slip issued: 5/7/12

First flight: 5/28/12, Memorial Day.

Phase I Complete: 8/18/12!

2017 donation: complete
Old 08-18-2014, 10:22 AM

Bill-

Quote:
Pete, you could have stalled and ridden the stall down to your desired altitude. Give that some practice and see how it works for you. It is a nice trick to have in your back pocket.

BTW, I was doing my approaches today at 55 kts with full flaps.
I have to admit I would have never thought to try this. It's an interesting idea. Sounds like I should head out to my favorite practice area over the Mojave desert and try some extended stalls. It will be interesting to see how quickly I can drop out of some unwanted altitude. These will have to be solo. My wife would have a cow if I tried a stall descent with her in the plane. Thanks for the idea.
First Flight: April 2013
Hobbs: 400 hours after Oshkosh 2017
www.myrv9.com
Old 08-18-2014, 10:34 AM

For some of us "less bold" pilots, a full slip to scrub off that altitude would be w-a-y preferable. I've been able to use a full slip quite successfully from altitude, though I admit never from 4000'. That's a bunch!

I hear ya on that "longest, slowest approach". It's amazing how we get used to cruising at 140 - 160 kts. The slow stuff in the pattern seems a whole lot slower now than it did when I flew 172s.
(Dues paid thru Nov '18)
Old 08-18-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmccoy View Post
I have to admit I would have never thought to try this. It's an interesting idea. Sounds like I should head out to my favorite practice area over the Mojave desert and try some extended stalls. It will be interesting to see how quickly I can drop out of some unwanted altitude. These will have to be solo. My wife would have a cow if I tried a stall descent with her in the plane. Thanks for the idea.
Most planes I've flown can be kept very stable during a stalled descent as long as you have a light touch on the rudder. If you're high, it feels like normal flight except for the unwinding altimeter. Unless she's unconfortable with a gentle initial stall, the actual stalled descent won't seem very adventurous.

I shot this in the Pitts at idle power and full aft stick. 32 seconds from 3,000' to 1,500' - 2,800 FPM. Very stable and tame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLZG2...T4j6vReBu9H8Qg
Old 08-18-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmccoy View Post
...I have to admit I would have never thought to try this...
I have flown the ragged edge of a stall right down to within 75 feet of the runway threshold in a -9A many times. It seems to halt all forward motion and comes down like an elevator.

IIRC, this technique was a spitited discussion on this forum some time ago and many people essentially said I was insane/reckless for suggesting such a move, but I've done it, and it works fine.

As Bill says, its a fine skill to have in your "toolbox".
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
PA-20-inspired "family truckster" -in work
Old 08-18-2014, 11:13 AM

I think this thread is going to motivate some of us to head for altitude and try out some things....
And, I am going to check that idle setting again.