VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-14-2017, 06:04 PM

Default PayPal Caution

Caution when using PayPal: do not check "merchandise or services" when paying an individual for things you buy from that individual (not a business). PayPal will charge a 3% fee!

Check "Friends and Family". They do not charge the fee if "Friends and Family" is checked.
Navy A7E Viet Nam era
Ret. Corprate Pilot: G1159, IA Jet, Jetstar, Falcon 10, 20, 50
Old 11-14-2017, 06:11 PM

A word or caution, you give up any buyer protection when you do that, you won’t be able to dispute.
#140376 RV-14A QB IO-390 Thunderbolt
Reserved: N196
Progress: Finishing Kit
Old 11-14-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkervaski View Post
A word or caution, you give up any buyer protection when you do that, you won’t be able to dispute.
This. If it is an issue I have increased my payment to cover the fee. Better safe than sorry.
RV10 - #41778
Empennage - Done (for now)
Wings - on-order
RV10builder.com
Old 11-14-2017, 07:41 PM

Bill, Good point and thanks. With the Vans community, I would guess that there are few issues, but the Buyer/Seller protection is something to be aware of.
Navy A7E Viet Nam era
Ret. Corprate Pilot: G1159, IA Jet, Jetstar, Falcon 10, 20, 50
Old 11-14-2017, 07:44 PM

The fee is why I would prefer to send and receive a check.
3,300+ hours
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:50 PM

Remember another option: Stein Avionics (and others) will serve as an intermediary, for a fee.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:06 PM

Default Paypal is terrible

I hate paypal. I recently sold something on ebay and buyer paid with paypal. I had a no return policy but buyer wanted to return item anyway because the part didnt fit his application. He put in claims with paypal and ebay, but he was denied. So he went and did a charge back with his credit card. Once a buyer does a charge back you are SOL. You will loose your item and your money. There is nothing you can do if someone simply does a charge back. All they have to say is "there is a problem with the item" thats it!
Old 11-14-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlidzct View Post
I hate paypal. I recently sold something on ebay and buyer paid with paypal. I had a no return policy but buyer wanted to return item anyway because the part didnt fit his application. He put in claims with paypal and ebay, but he was denied. So he went and did a charge back with his credit card. Once a buyer does a charge back you are SOL. You will loose your item and your money. There is nothing you can do if someone simply does a charge back. All they have to say is "there is a problem with the item" thats it!
Have no idea what happened it your case. But, its not supposed to work that way, according to PayPal (https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/brc/chargebacks). The credit card company is supposed to request a "response" from PayPal, at which time they should respond that claims to PayPal and eBay were submitted and denied.

I've been using PayPal since 2002, and have never had a problem. Of course, there's been a couple of "no return" items I wasn't happy with. But, I accepted that risk when I pushed the "bid" button.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:51 AM

Default Paypal

True story.....
Sold a ladies Rolex watch (my mothers) about 2 yrs ago on EBAY. The buyer used PayPal. Claimed the watch was fake and wanted a refund. It went to EBAY arbitration. Even though I had bought/sold on eBay for 15 yrs ...with 100% positive feedback, and buyer only 1 year, they sided with the buyer. I refused to accept a return of the watch....or a refund to him.

MORAL......Never use PayPal when buying on eBay.....period.
Use a credit card for purchases.....period.
When selling on eBay, they make you use PayPal ....because they own PayPal. That's why I don't ever sell on EBay.
When selling on VAF, Craigslist, etc. only accept cash or a check....and wait till it clears before shipping mdse.
If you follow these rules, yoo will never get hurt. Hope this helps some of you fine folks......Marv
Old 11-15-2017, 06:16 AM

Default Perfect history doesnt matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by N804RV View Post
Have no idea what happened it your case. But, its not supposed to work that way, according to PayPal (https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/brc/chargebacks). The credit card company is supposed to request a "response" from PayPal, at which time they should respond that claims to PayPal and eBay were submitted and denied.

I've been using PayPal since 2002, and have never had a problem. Of course, there's been a couple of "no return" items I wasn't happy with. But, I accepted that risk when I pushed the "bid" button.
When this happened to me this year I had 100% positive feedback and have been a paypal and ebay user since 2000. In fact, the paypal rep had the nerve to congradulate me on doing so much business with paypal with only one chargeback! They litterally told me percentage wise this is not a big deal. WTF!

The item was brand new, provided pictures, part number, & link to MFR spec page. There was no question on what the buyer was getting. The seller protection does not work against chargebacks, when they claim "a problem with item" period! The only protection you have is if they say they never got it but you can provide a tracking number. Ebay and paypal both decided in my favor, but paypal can not override a credit card chargeback. They tell you they fight on your behalf, but its not true. If you ever find yourself in this situation be prepared so spend countless hours speaking to people in (India?) reading prompts from a computer screen. Basically in the case of the chargeback all paypal can do is provide the info to the card company, but they leave it up to the card company to decide. Who do you think the credit card company will side with? All you can do at that point is take legal action but they no nobody will. After getting $240 taken out of my account, losing the item, and countless hours on the phone I was spent and gave up

Edit: I took a look at the link to paypal above and there it is. Everyone should understand this.

"Significantly Not As Described (SNAD). Your customer states that the item they received was significantly different than what they ordered. For example, your customer ordered a red sweater and received a blue sweater."

"Unfortunately, while SNAD chargebacks aren’t covered under PayPal Seller Protection, they can sometimes be resolved with the buyer before the dispute escalates."

And notice it says customer STATES. Thats all it takes. All the proof in the world, actual photos, part numbers, link to mfr specs will not help you. I had winning disputes with both ebay and paypal. They decided in my favor because I proved there was no problem with the item. None of this matters. It says right on paypal site "PayPal submits the evidence to the issuer, who makes a decision based on the evidence". I'd like to know how many times the card issuer doesn't side with their customer.

Last edited by Mlidzct : 11-15-2017 at 06:36 AM.