VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-03-2017, 01:42 PM

What battery did you start with in the plane? If you want a drop in replacement with zero effort, I have never found a substitute for the RG-25, for instance, that's what my box was built to hold well.

As others have said, the PC925 is going to be what I'd put in a RV-10. The terminals are available either side Positive, so get the one that suits the RG 25 replacement. The bolts will best match the RG-25. In the PC925L, left is positive if the label faces you, this puts the battery when rotated a near- match for the RC-25. The terminals will be on the vertical edges rather than on the top of the RG25. The PC925L is only 6.5 inches wide where the RG is 7.7 in this layout. Height is 6.97 for the PC925L vs 6.81 for the RG-25 and depth is 4.93 inches for the PC925 vs 4.97 for the RG-25.

If you can afford the time, pull the battery, top it off with a charger, if not the "right" one, don't leave it overnight, let it go no higher than 14.5 volts. Load test it. I use a 500w inverter and a few 100w box fans. Should go 45 minutes before hitting the low voltage cutoff of most inverters. If the battery is good, check and clean as many connections, including grounds, as you can.

No need to go cheap, but here's my $ saver that fit my battery box much easier-

If you want a sport AGM- the cheapest easy swap...

A RG-25 XC near drop-in replacement exists- however- Concorde does a nice job of keeping the bolt connections recessed from the top and set back from the edge. This matters little if you use a strap type top retention with sides and front walls well short of the top. It is more a concern for a true battery box enclosure.

Most all AGM sport batteries but the Oddesey line scare me a bit. The connections are high and at the edges/corners. Oddesey is a pricey brand, but great value and the 925 has the same endurance AH as the Concorde easily. That said-

I like the made in the USA and sold under many labels Deka ETX-30L $120, or so. Check if you have a local dealer, that worked great for me. East Penn I believe is the parent for Deka and Duracell Ultra brands. The Batteries and Bulbs Duracell Ultra for big Harleys with grey case is the same as the Deka and the $130 price is fine.
CYL10020
Brand: Duracell Ultra
Voltage: 12
Format: 30LA
Lead Acid Type: Starting

15 minutes jigsawing and sanding a few 3/8" thick mdf shapes and all set in an aluminum box that held the RG-25XC previously between the rudders of a RV-6.

Don't forget to make sure you have snug fit and no chance of a short in all 3 dimensions. Folks have wound up upside down with a battery shorted hot to the box.

I'd try a LiFePO4 in a blink if I had a battery mount on the firewall-forward side and an over-voltage protection device. If you don't need the reserve of the Concorde you could have a 4# battery. I think the RV-10 is a cabin battery, so you'd need a sealed installation with venting and enough reserve for IFR AH needs.

Last edited by moosepileit : 11-04-2017 at 03:59 PM. Reason: PC 925 will be best in a cabin mounted single battery system.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:53 PM

I've used a Shorai LiFePO4 battery for a while (hundreds and hundreds of flight hours) now. I chose it over the PC680 because of it's light weight, and over the EarthX because of the high cost and questionable BMS claims.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:20 PM

Default my rv10

I have an Oddesey PC925 in my RV10 and am very pleased with it's performance.
Granbury, Tx
http://bit.ly/2bnimsZ
Old 11-03-2017, 09:08 PM

Default Battery

Battery Tender Battery , 3 lbs , trouble free for 2 years so far . Cranks my 360 with 10:1 pistons no problem. .
2017 donation paid
Old 11-03-2017, 10:03 PM

On my second PC 680. First one lasted 10 years and was still working fine. Second one is coming up on 5 years. Working fine.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW- 416.6 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi.htm

Old 11-04-2017, 06:23 AM

I have an Odyssey PC925 AGM. I love it. Holds its charge well even when cold. Great cranking power.

Last edited by Saville : 11-04-2017 at 07:49 AM.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:33 PM

Default Universal SLA/AGM $39.00 free shipping

https://www.amazon.com/Upgrade-Batte...+battery&psc=1

Been using these on my RV-10 and prior to that on my RV-8.
Dual battery system on both airplanes, always starting on both batteries.
Replaced at 5 year intervals just because they are cheap.
Never used a trickle charger and the plane occasionally sits for 3 or 4 weeks
during the winter season, no trouble starting.
The Bay area has a mild climate so not sure what the batteries will do in freezing cold.
Like Guccidude1, I use the old batteries to power my tug and other stuff around the house. At over 10 years of age they still take a charge and none has ever failed.
Over 2500 Gallons of E10 mogas burned
Don't believe everything you know.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:48 PM

Powersafe Dry Cell SBS J-16 in my RV-8.

I bought an Earth ETX 900 but sent it back after reading about a couple failures.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCityJets View Post
I have an RV-10 with an io-540. I am noticing that the prop is getting harder and harder to turn. Itís time.

What batteries are most suggested. I have done lots of searches and reading, and still left with the question of, which one?

Lithium? Lead-acid? Sealed AGM?

Any help appreciated.

Chad
PC925L drops right in.
RV Hotel (hangar, room, car) at X35 in north FL

Commercial ASEL/S A&P/IA EAA Technical Counselor

Dynamic Prop Balancing, Prebuy Inspections, Condition Inspections, Repairs and Mods, Injector Tuning, Airframe, Engine, Panel Upgrades, Ferrying, etc.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:18 PM

Just bought the Duracell AGM cyl10009 yesterday and it starts great! Same specs and size. They must be same battery because salesperson said they didn’t have the 20. What battery box did you use? This battery is significantly wider so the narrow lid on my box won’t fit.

"Poise under pressure is the single most valuable thing you can have as a pilot. Make mistakes, take corrective action as quickly and calmly as possible and press on."