VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-07-2017, 07:49 AM

Default WTB RV-8 Empennage kit/asssembly

Here goes. Current Mooney owner/flyer thinking hard about taking the leap. Not sure if my OCD tendencies will allow me to survive such an endeavor Would like to make the empennage assembly my Holiday season obsession. If you have anything close to this request, please let me know. Thanks.

Scott F
Old 11-07-2017, 08:00 AM

Scott,

Your OCD will adjust, mine did. Started out strong but it eases back once you realize as a first time builder it's not going to be a masterpiece. The emp phase includes ordering numerous replacement parts from Vans to "get it right". Your skills will grow tremendously during this phase and your do-over parts orders will drop down to a murmur.

Edit: At fly-ins I really study RVs and our build is really quality compared to some of the stuff I have seen, so the OCD does help. You may not think it's perfect but if you're like me it's unlikely anyone else will see your mistakes, especially that one near-perfect-but-not-quite rivet that keeps you up at night that you just can't get to without redoing half the emp.
#140376 RV-14A QB IO-390 Thunderbolt
Reserved: N196
Progress: Finishing Kit
Old 11-07-2017, 08:45 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome to VAF

Scott, welcome aboard the good ship VAF

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 11-08-2017, 04:13 AM

Default Building

Hi Scott,

Drive or fly on over to X50 (Massey Air Park). I have a Rudder, 2 Elevators and a Vertical Stab for sale. More importantly there are 8 builders in my hangar with a wealth of knowledge to talk with.

Regards....Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemasm View Post
Here goes. Current Mooney owner/flyer thinking hard about taking the leap. Not sure if my OCD tendencies will allow me to survive such an endeavor Would like to make the empennage assembly my Holiday season obsession. If you have anything close to this request, please let me know. Thanks.

Scott F
Old 11-08-2017, 08:29 AM

Thanks HelloJoe. PM sent.

Scott F
Old 11-08-2017, 10:18 AM

Default Emp kit in Southern California

Hi Scott,

I have a completed Horizontal and vertical stab. You'd just need to finish the Rudder and Elevators. Save you a bunch of hours and could chill the OCD a bit since you'd have completed flight surfaces.

Let me know,
Scott
Old 11-11-2017, 08:01 AM

Default RV8 Empennage

Scott,
I have a complete UNTOUCHED RV8 empennage kit that I bought from Vans last spring. I am looking to sell it rather than return it to Vans because I no longer have the boxes and it would be pricy to ship it back.
Im building a 7 instead.
Im in Spruce Creek.

Mark