- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2017, 04:46 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Having flown both, I'd say that the airframe improvements are significant enough that I'd definitely go with all of the changes there.

Did I notice a lot of difference in the engine? As a pilot - not really. But it is considerably more efficient, which translates into reduced fuel costs, and I suspect that it will be easier to maintain, since you aren't balancing carbs, etc. Yes, the new engine will undoubtedly have some teething problems, but this is the direction Rotax is going, so I suspect they will be actively working on solutions - whereas the ULS will eventually not be getting the same attention.

I'm not going to spend anyone else's money for them, but if it were me, I'd probably default to the new engine until I found out more, or that I simply couldn't afford that option.

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 11-08-2017, 08:50 PM

The only drawback to new tech is the lack of operating history to find all the bugs. The iS seems to have got through its teething problems. Id go with the iS today.

I faced a similar problem with avionics. I bought the last generation of D180/D100 with a Garmin 496 when the anticipation was that Skyview was coming soon. I did it then because the Skyview in an RV-12 was a new combo, and I did not want to be a guinea pig. I drool over every Skyview I see, but I still think it was the right decision at the time.