- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump4way View Post
I just returned from the AEA experimental avionics installation class and they were very clear that the probe needed to be exposed to the outside air. They cautioned against “hiding”the probe as it would give erroneous readings.
While excellent generic advice, the wing root location on the RV has shown good results. No noticeable delay, no sun or engine heating, and accurate reading within the sensor to sensor variation. Other "hidden" locations certainly may not perform the same. One does not have to locate it there, just don't discard the possibility on generic advice when data is available.

W&B done
Doing paperwork.
Beginning G3X calibrations.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:57 PM

The class mentioned above is based specifically on the G3X system and daughter by an expert that has done many installs so I would not consider this generic advice.

If I remember correctly, the GEA-24 takes in to account the ram air Pressure and compensates accordingly to reach an accurate temperature reading. Without that ram air pressure, the compensation still occurs so your indication would then be inaccurate.

Iím not posting to conflict your real world experience. I only wanted to share the information I recently received from the experts with the original poster so he could make his own decision.

I just mounted mine today and went with the second inspection panel on the left wing as my location of choice. Hopefully that works out. Thatís me speaking without any real world data so take that for what itís worth.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump4way View Post
The class mentioned above is based specifically on the G3X system and daughter by an expert that has done many installs so I would not consider this generic advice.

If I remember correctly, the GEA-24 takes in to account the ram air Pressure and compensates accordingly to reach an accurate temperature reading. Without that ram air pressure, the compensation still occurs so your indication would then be inaccurate.

Iím not posting to conflict your real world experience. I only wanted to share the information I recently received from the experts with the original poster so he could make his own decision.

I just mounted mine today and went with the second inspection panel on the left wing as my location of choice. Hopefully that works out. Thatís me speaking without any real world data so take that for what itís worth.
Well, this certainly worthy of further investigation. I have the GSU-73.

W&B done
Doing paperwork.
Beginning G3X calibrations.