- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-7/7A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubbat View Post
i may be wrong, but here is my take. Vans sells kits and offer some limited hand holding. To see the cost and effort required to convert, a set of plans would be the start which may require an expenditure of money. If there isn't a desire to dive into a set of plans to determine what's different, then maybe one can conclude, as Vans may have, that the desire to see the project through is just not there, and thus their time may be better served taking orders from the folks who have already done their homework, maybe. I bet they get a ton of gee wiz questions. In this case, in 5days you decided to go in a different direction with a Cessna. I guess Vans was spot on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubbat View Post
Nevertheless, the kind folks here on VAF have and will probably continue to offer their opinions. If I were to guess, budget $2000 to $3000 as a start depending on whether you will do the work and purchase some items used. Purchase the stuff new and have someone do the work for you, budget $5000 - $7000, depending on your local employment rate. If you want to least hassle, just buy one already configured.

Good luck on your endeavors. You can't go wrong with a Vans product.
You couldn't be more wrong there with yr assumptions but you are entitled to yr opinion! The 'Cessna' was said with tongue in cheek!

To the kind ones out there I have finally heard back from Vans as I sent another email. I got some basic info & costs from them which is all I was after in the first instance.

Again thanks to those that where helpful:-)

Last edited by Capt : 11-06-2017 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:12 PM

[quote=David-aviator;1216672]Don't know why they aren't responding....but getting back to issue of having satisfactory airplane to fly, have your priced the RV-8 kit shipped to your home?

A basic VFR 8 can be built for a lot less than $150 grand. The kit is matched drilled and goes together quickly and easily. I build mine, not quick built, in about 14 months. Worked about 8 hours a day like full time job. Had to have some help riveting but did most of it myself.

Yes, it can cost $150 but over half that is in fancy glass, avionics, paint, 200Hp engine and CS prop. None of it needed for fun flying RV-8.

If side by side is issue, same can be said for the 7.

Just my 2 cents worth....[/QUOTE

Dave I've looked into an 8 kit, approx. up to $55K, that's the cheap part!:-) I don't wish to build, I'd rather fly than build. I don't have the room anyway.
It's all been an interesting exercise, I'll keep looking at options.

Last edited by Capt : 11-06-2017 at 07:41 PM.