- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2017, 05:32 PM

Default Make RV-12 Cabin More Habitable in Winter

The weather is getting cold and I decided to tackle the problem of cold air passing forward from the baggage compartment.

The solution consists of one piece of sheet aluminum, two pieces of cardboard, and three pieces of foam. The RV-12 seat backs are aluminum frames with 1” angle sides that contain the upright upholstered cushions.

I made an aluminum sheet 18”H with 1” flanged sides to block the air between the two seat backs. The 1” flanges tuck between the seat frame and the seat cushion. The piece of aluminum is tapered something like 3” wide at the top and 5-1/2” at the bottom. The two side baffles are similarly 18"H with 1” flange but made from cardboard. The outer cardboard edge is taped to the roll bar with blue painters tape.

All three baffles use foam on the bottom to seal against uneven bottom seat cushion and yet not impinge on the seat belt anchors or the central flap handle. The baffles at made from 3” foam and each is 6” high. You will have to custom measure/trial for width.

So how does it work? Today I flew with 35F OAT and the only air movement I noticed was from over the top of the seat backs and even that amount of air was slight. I would say it works very well.

Below is a poor sketch. I will take a few photos next time I fly.

-

PPL - 1970
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC 7/12 Bought Flying 10/2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 315

Last edited by Piper J3 : 11-04-2017 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:46 PM

This is a great idea. I look forward to seeing how it works!

I am hoping to order the landing gear leg-to-fuselage fairings for the new RV-12IS when they become available. I am hoping the the fairings will stop the cold blast behind the seats.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwardle7 View Post
I am hoping to order the landing gear leg-to-fuselage fairings for the new RV-12IS when they become available. I am hoping the the fairings will stop the cold blast behind the seats.
I installed gear leg/fuselage fairings and it didn't stop air ingress. See http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...12&postcount=5.

I think air comes in through the spar openings. My theory is if you contain the incoming air behind the seats then the venturi effect of the tail cone will extract the incoming air through the corrugated openings on the edges of the rear baggage bulkhead.
PPL - 1970
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC 7/12 Bought Flying 10/2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 315

Last edited by Piper J3 : 11-04-2017 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:43 PM

A couple of shop towels stuffed in the spar openings works wonders for the wintertime. Easily removed for summer.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk2436 View Post
A couple of shop towels stuffed in the spar openings works wonders for the wintertime. Easily removed for summer.
Hey...thatís too easy. Us guys like the more involved approach that requires bending metal etc.
Tho RVN)
Distinguished Flying Cross Society Member
CH-47 & UH-1H "Driver"
Rotax 9 Series Service IRMT

RV-12 Kit#729 "N312RD" is now a full functioning fun machine!! Thanks Van for fulfilling my dream😎
2017 Dues Paid
Old 11-05-2017, 06:53 AM

I have not tried this yet, but thought of injecting Great Stuff Foam into plastic bags that have been stuffed into gaps.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:15 PM

I had quite a gale coming in behind the seats. Turned out to be the gaps around the spars. I RTV'd foam strips about 1.5" to 2.0" square to each side of the spars so that they compress against the fuse when the wings are pushed in. Solved the problem.

Jack
Old 11-05-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handclutch View Post
I had quite a gale coming in behind the seats. Turned out to be the gaps around the spars. I RTV'd foam strips about 1.5" to 2.0" square to each side of the spars so that they compress against the fuse when the wings are pushed in. Solved the problem.

Jack
Any pictures?
N588DF RV12 #336 Sold
N73DF RV12 #244 Flying
Old 11-06-2017, 04:52 PM

Unfortunately, I didn't think to take any. Will get some next time the wings are off but that doesn't happen any more than necessary - could be a while.

Jack