- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2017, 05:48 PM

Default Speedbrakes on the RV-10

In years past, RD&D made a kit that installed speedbrakes manufactured by Precise Flight for the RV-10. I know a few were installed as I've seen pictures on several for sale ads.

I would like to talk to anyone who installed them on their RV-10 or purchased a set and never installed them.

Please send me a PM.
Rv-10 TDI #40816
Fayettevile, GA

2018 VAF Donation complete
Old 12-19-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flandy10 View Post
In years past, RD&D made a kit that installed speedbrakes manufactured by Precise Flight for the RV-10. I know a few were installed as I've seen pictures on several for sale ads.

I would like to talk to anyone who installed them on their RV-10 or purchased a set and never installed them.

Please send me a PM.
Replying here instead so it's findable by anyone else who may be interested in the future (but feel free to PM me if you have anything that may not be useful to others).

I would be in the latter group - I purchased them, was eager to install, realized what would really be involved, and ended up returning them.

They seemed to be great products, but do not come with any bracket or even suggestions on how to install in an experimental - at most they shared the instructions for some certified aircraft (e.g. Mooneys, Cessnas) to serve as inspiration.

On the 10, it'd only fit between one specific pair of ribs on the wing, and even then it'd require some surgery on the wing to get installed - cutting a big hole on top, making some custom doublers that would be riveted together with the ribs, making a bottom-skin support for it, adding a water drain hole, etc.

The real issue was when I calculated the force that would be required from the ribs and skin onto the brakes at Vne to keep it from "twisting back" (and ripping out part of the wing) - just thing of the drag force being applied on the top half of the brakes, and how that creates a moment on the piece as a whole - at that point it became clear that it was a major structural change and I just wasn't comfortable doing it anymore.

Another deciding factor was talking to a few people at Airventure about propellers - it seemed to be a consensus that you can get similar braking action from the MT prop at the high RPM setting.
RV-10 builder #41623
Build log at http://www.airplane.build/
VAF dues paid
Old 12-19-2017, 12:32 PM

Not sure why anyone would feel the need to add speedbrakes on a 10. I've got 200+hrs on my 10 now and there hasn't been a single minute IFR or VFR where they would have been useful to slow down or lose altitude, and this includes "screaming" down the ILS 7 at KORL at 160KTS until GS capture at the controllers request to maintain best forward speed. Slowed down and stabilized at 120 KTS just like that. IMO this would definitely be a mod not worth the cost, time, and effort to install YMMV......

Note: My execution of the ILS mentioned above is most atypical for me. 99% of the time I stabilize my speed at the IAF or on VTF at 120 KTS (I used to do it at 90 but based upon other's procedures tried 120 and liked it better). Occasionally, at the controllers request I'll maintain faster if the conditions are right, as there were at the time I shot that ILS (well briefed approach, smooth air, no on-board equipment issues, etc). If they hadn't been right, I'd have stated that I all I could give 'em was 120 and that would have been that.
WAR EAGLE!

Last edited by Auburntsts : 12-19-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:13 PM

Just because you can does not mean you should.

I am with the post above, although rather than 200 hours we have 1500, same result. Energy management 101 is a class many should take that contemplate them for a -10. A Lancer maybe, but even then I would say, a lot I know don't have them either and get by without all the drama.

My $0.22 worth.

David Brown

The two best investments you can make, by any financial test, an EMS and APS!
Old 12-19-2017, 06:20 PM

Come on guys, skip the 'learn to fly" lecture. Scott's RV-10 is not like yours, he understands speed management, and he has a reason for asking.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
IMO this would definitely be a mod not worth the cost, time, and effort to install YMMV......
I couldn't have said it better!
VAF Paid 1/10/2018

"In '69 I was 21, and I called the road my own"
Jackson Browne

Old 12-20-2017, 10:46 AM

Many years ago I was offered a pair. I didn't do it. 1300 hours on it and I don't see a real need for them.
RV-10/14 Transition Training: http://www.RVCFI.com
Old 12-20-2017, 12:39 PM

I'm all for adding things to the plane that I don't really 'need'.
Donated for 2018
Old 12-20-2017, 01:08 PM

Please read Dans post above— none of these comments address Scott’s simple request.

Last edited by jabarr : 12-20-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:00 PM

I am soundly in the not needed camp. I get that a TDI is different, but the primary reason for exploring TDI is energy efficiency and speed brakes are the kinetic energy equivalent of a fuel dump valve. What we retain in value from burning fuel is speed and altitude.
If shock cooling is an issue, it doesn’t seem much more complicated to me to devise and install some form of variable air intake (reverse cowl flaps) than speed brakes which just dump energy (money) overboard.
RV-10 BPE, Dynon, Airflow systems A/C
First flight May 10, 2014

Last edited by woxofswa : 12-20-2017 at 03:03 PM.