Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-01-2017, 12:06 PM

Default removing the engine cowling - RV-6

Members,

access to our engine cowling is by removing a small 2 inch pin on both the left and right of the cowling, and the by removing the upper pin accessed through the oil inspection door.

I have not done this yet, nor have I had it demo'd to me.

I was told that the cowling is typically only removed when doing oil changes (every 50 hours for us).

It is odd for me to not inspect under the cowling (Beechcraft Debonair 1966) as I do on my other airplane during every preflight.

Is this common practice in the RV-6 world?
Old 11-01-2017, 12:38 PM

You will probably get varying opinions, but removing the upper cowl for preflight is something I don’t do. Just like most Cessnas or some Pipers where you just get a glimpse in the oil door, you use a flashlight and look around. I do pull my cowl at 25 hr intervals though. Others may wait until the 50 hr oil change.
N199EC RV6A flying
Learn the facts. "Democracy dies in darkness"
Old 11-01-2017, 12:39 PM

Default Remove top cowling on RV-6 for Pre-Flight

Our RV6 is kept in the hanger & we also have “Bruce Custom Covers” inlet air & induction duct plugs installed after every flight as well as a pitot cover. We install these when it’s in the hanger or parked outside.
That said—on every preflight we use a high quality flashlight to inspect the air inlets to cylinders & carburetor & thru the oil access door & cowling Exhaust outlet; for airworthiness issues.